Move aside skinny jeans–mom jeans are back in style!
You can blame it on the pandemic’s new laid-back lifestyle or the nostalgia for 90s trends. Mom jeans are finally the cool “it” girl jeans that every fashionista needs in their wardrobe.
I personally haven’t worn any of my skinny jeans this past year either and I’m not alone in this–many women are forgoing skinny jeans too. After multiple lockdowns, I can’t bear the thought of squeezing into tight jeans with no give.
That’s why we’re all welcoming baggy and loose jeans, such as mom jeans, back into our closets. These high-waisted, loose jeans are incredibly comfortable and stylish too.
This style of jeans was an unpopular choice in the past few decades, but our sentimental love for 90s fashion and the recent re-emergence of Y2K fashion has pushed it back into the fashion spotlight.
Get ready to switch up your jogger pants with mom jeans. Not sure how to wear them? Keep reading for ways on how to style mom jeans in different outfits.
Pin the image below so that you can reference this later too!
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
In This Post ➜
What Are Mom Jeans?
In short, these jeans are typically high-waisted, loose around the thighs, and have a tapered leg. Mom jeans were originally popularized and favored by moms in the 80s and 90s.
If you’re having a hard time telling mom jeans apart from boyfriend jeans or other jeans, just look at 90s mom jeans style inspiration. You’ll notice that mom jeans are always high-waisted with less stretch, similar to classic denim styles.
They also have a baggy fit overall, but particularly in the thigh and bum area. Mom jeans also taper down to the ankles–giving them their distinct style.
They generally have more shape in comparison to boyfriend jeans. Therefore, they’re considered a more feminine alternative to boyfriend jeans.
How To Style Mom Jeans In 12 Ways
Now that skinny jeans are “officially” out, it’s time to put a modern twist to these loose-fitting mom jeans for 2022. This past year we’ve seen celebrities like Megan Fox and Sarah Jessica Parker sport mom jeans. Now these jeans are on everyone’s fashion radar.
Today, mom jeans still have their classic silhouette, but we’re also seeing fun details like ripped knees and frayed hemlines. It doesn’t matter if you’re going for the classic mom jeans or looking for a modern, updated version of mom jeans–there’s many choices to choose from!
Whether you’re looking to venture off from your go-to skinny jeans or need new style inspiration for your mom jeans, I’ve got you covered. You’ll instantly fall in love with these flattering and effortlessly cool jeans that cinch at the perfect spot on your waist.
Here’s 12 ways on how to style mom jeans and styling tips to elevate your outfits instantly.
📚 How to Style Mom Jeans For School
Whether you’re running to your next class or leisurely strolling across the campus, these outfits will be perfect for you.
Mom jeans will keep you comfy and chic between hanging out with your classmates, sitting through long lectures, or studying in the library.
Here’s how to style mom jeans for your everyday school outfits.
- Cropped Cardigan + Matching Crop Top + Chunky White Sneakers
Pair a cropped cardigan and matching crop top with blue mom jeans. Feel free to try brighter colors for the matching set. Lavender or mint colors complement blue mom jeans extremely well!
Don’t forget to throw on a pair of chunky white sneakers to complete the look. This fresh and fun outfit is great for the hustle and bustle of school life.
- Muscle Tank + Loafers
Looking for a minimalist, but put together outfit? Try pairing a white muscle tank and loafers with your mom jeans. This simple outfit is minimal yet polished.
Opt for muscle tanks with some light shoulder padding or a boxy fit to help broaden the shoulder. Trust me, a little bit of shoulder padding makes a huge difference to this simple basic.
💼 How To Style Mom Jeans For Work
If your job allows you to wear jeans, congrats! Not everyone can wear jeans to work. Consider yourself lucky!
Even though jeans are typically considered casual wear, there are a few ways to help dress your mom jeans. Here’s some outfits that will elevate your mom jeans for work.
- White Tee + Blazer + Pointed Block Heels
Wear a white tee and pop a blazer over it. Don’t forget to slip on a pair of pointed block heels to finish off this smart outfit.
A blazer and some smart heels instantly makes this outfit work-ready!
- Statement Blouse + Kitten Heels
Blazers aren’t the only thing that will help dress up mom jeans for work. Instead, try on a statement blouse and some kitten heels.
Now, you’re instantly fashionable and ready to conquer work!
👖 How To Style Mom Jeans For Curvy Or Plus Size Women
Curvy and plus-sized women can rock mom jeans too! They can help highlight curves in a very flattering way.
Mom jeans have a relaxed and high-waisted fit that helps elongate the legs and create an hourglass shape. Their fit is perfect for curvy women!
Remember to consider the jeans’ material. Mom jeans made entirely of cotton often feel stiff and thick, which might not be very comfortable.
Instead, look for jeans that are made of a blend of cotton and spandex. The spandex will allow extra stretch and make them more comfy.
Here’s a couple of outfits that will flatter curvy and plus-sized women!
- Peplum Top + Heels
Peplum tops are constructed with a waist that flows outwards and helps hide unwanted curves near the waist. This is a great option for those with a less defined waist area.
Pair this with some cute pointed or almond toe heels to visually balance off the look and lengthen the legs.
- Wrap Top + Booties
For this outfit, try a wrap top. Wrap tops are designed to help define the waistline, but they’re loose enough, so they won’t accentuate unwanted curves.
Don’t forget to wear heeled booties for that extra height and leg lengthening effect. Plus, they look great with mom jeans!
Related: How To Dress For Your Body Type & Flatter Your Figure
❄️ How To Style Mom Jeans For Winter
Mom jeans are great staples for winter. Their high-waisted fit pairs so well with cropped sweaters and cardigans.
Plus, they look incredibly good with some booties! Here’s a few outfits for your winter style inspiration.
- Cropped Hoodie + Trench Coat + Booties
One of my favorite ways to make a trench coat look chic is to layer a cropped hoodie underneath. Let the hood drape over the trench coat to add a layering cool layering detail to the outfit.
This look is great for transitional weather in winter. If it’s extra chilly outside, layer a thermal top and tights under the outfit to trap in your body heat.
Of course, you can’t forget cute booties to finish off this winter outfit!
- White Mom Jeans + Tan Turtleneck + Camel Coat + Brown Booties
Switch up the typically blue mom jeans for a pair of white mom jeans instead. Then, tuck in a tan turtleneck into your mom jeans.
Throw on a classic camel coat and step in stylish brown booties. I love the neutral color palette in this outfit!
Related: What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather – 6 Cute Everyday Outfits
🍁 How To Style Mom Jeans For Fall
Mom jeans continues to stay strong in my fall wardrobe and I’m sure it will for you too. They’re perfect for the transitional weather and layer so well.
Here’s how to style mom jeans in the fall that you don’t want to miss.
- Leather Jacket + White Tee + Black Leather Booties
Leather jackets are having a moment in fashion right now and I’m on board. For this outfit pair a leather jacket over a simple white tee.
The leather jacket instantly elevates the cool factor of the outfit. I just love the silhouette of jackets. Plus, they’re are a great alternative to leather moto jackets.
You can’t complete this cool look without a pair of black leather boots too!
- Denim Jacket + Colorful Heels
Fall is denim season and who says you can’t wear denim on denim? For this look pair a darker pair of mom jeans with a lighter denim jacket.
The difference in denim colors will help make this denim on denim outfit wearable. Finally, add a pop of color with bright heels to complete this look.
☀️ How To Style Mom Jeans In Summer
Mom jeans are truly an all-season wardrobe staple and summer is no exception. In the summer, it’s all about cute crop tops, bodysuits, and sandals.
Here’s my favorite outfits with mom jeans for the warmer weather.
- Bodysuit + Strappy Heels
Bodysuits and mom jeans are a match made in heaven. Fitted tops help balance out the loose and relaxed bottom silhouette.
For this look, get a black or white bodysuit and pair it with blue mom jeans. Then, pair this with strappy heels. This would be a great outfit for a fun night out!
- Crop Top + Wedges
Crop tops pair extremely well with mom jeans. Opt for a fitted crop top to balance out the mom jeans’ baggy silhouette.
Finally, this wouldn’t be a summery look without cute wedges!
How To Syle Mom Jeans: FAQs
Are Mom Jeans Still In Style?
Yes, mom jeans are still one of the hottest jeans styles–especially now that skinny jeans are considered outdated and looser jeans are in. In fact, we now see plenty of fashion icons, such as Gigi Hadid and Kourtney Kardashian, rocking mom jeans.
It’s a no-brainer since mom jeans highlight our bums and elongate our legs in a much more comfortable way that skinny jeans can’t do. If there’s any time to rock a pair of mom jeans, it’s now!
Moreover, mom jeans are a classic that will never go out of style. These jeans were originally popularized in the ‘80s and ‘90s and are continually updated for modern fashion to this day. This is a good sign that mom jeans are here to stay as a staple.
How Do I Look Classy In Mom Jeans?
Mom jeans may have been popularized by moms in the 80s and 90s, but that doesn’t mean we have to look like a mom from that era. Moreover, mom jeans have been updated since then and look incredibly chic.
Here’s a few tips on how to style mom jeans in a flattering way without looking like a mom:
- Tuck In Your Top – Always do a full or half tuck in the front with your top, even with sweaters. Since mom jeans create a baggy bottom silhouette, you want to balance it out with a slimmer top half. Tucking in the top will make your upper-half appear slimmer. Plus, it directs attention to the higher perceived waistline and visually elongates the legs.
- Shoes With A Heel – If you want to visually elongate the legs even further, go for shoes with a heel. It doesn’t have to be super tall, a kitten heel or medium block heel will do the trick too. This extra height will help balance out the bagginess from the jeans and make your legs appear longer.
- Wear Crop Tops – Crop tops and mom jeans are literally a match made in heaven. Since mom jeans are high-waisted, crop tops hit just above the jeans–no tucking required.
- Bodysuits And Fitted Tops – A chic outfit is all about proportions and balance. Since mom jeans create a baggy bottom silhouette, you want to balance that out with fitted tops on your upper half. Any fitted top, such as turtlenecks and t-shirts, will do. I especially recommend bodysuits, since they are fitted and they stay tucked in all day!
Should Mom Jeans Be Loose Or Tight?
Mom jeans that fit just right should fit loosely around your legs without being too baggy. These jeans are typically high-waisted, loose around the thighs, and have a tapered leg.
A good pair of mom jeans will cinch in the waist and relax around the hips so that it wouldn’t flatten the bum. It also shouldn’t be too tight around the thighs either. If your mom jeans are tight on the thighs like skinny jeans, then it’s not a true mom jean fit. You may also try sizing up if it’s too tight.
Do You Have To Tuck In A Shirt With Mom Jeans?
I would highly recommend tucking in a shirt with mom jeans for a more flattering fit. Mom jeans are naturally looser and baggier, so to balance that out you want to tuck in the top.
This will make your top half appear slimmer. Plus, the high-waisted fit will elongate the legs. It’s a double-win and these small details make a huge difference!
How Do You Know If Mom Jeans Are Too Big?
Although mom jeans are typically looser and baggier jeans, there are ways to check if your mom jeans are too big. One of the first signs that they’re too big is if you can pull them on and off without using the zipper or button.
Also, check for extra sagging, bagginess, or bunching. Remember, mom jeans are high-waisted, loose around the thighs, and taper at the ankles. They should also fit loosely around the thigh and butt area. However, not so loose that they’re overly baggy.
Don’t be afraid of trying different sizes. Sizes tend to vary across brands, so you might want to try a size up or down from your typical size.
Lastly, ask yourself if it feels right when you wear them. If you feel confident in your jeans, that’s a good indication that the jeans fit you right.
What’s The Difference Between Mom Jeans And Boyfriend Jeans?
Mom jeans and boyfriend jeans are commonly mistaken for one another, but they are definitely not the same. Their cut, waist, and length differ from one another.
Boyfriend jeans are inspired by men’s jeans. Therefore, they’re generally baggier overall, particularly in the crotch and leg area. In contrast, mom jeans are loose around the thighs and bum area.
The waist on mom jeans are smaller to fit a woman’s hips and higher. In contrast, boyfriend jeans’ waist is shorter and straighter to mimic the fit of men’s jeans.
Finally, the length of mom and boyfriend jeans differ too. Mom jeans are typically shorter and closer to a cropped style. Boyfriend jeans are longer and are typically styled with the cuffs folded up. However, there are also cropped and regular styles for both types of jeans too.
What Tops Should I Wear With Mom Jeans?
Mom jeans are incredibly easy to style. For an everyday casual look, a simple white t-shirt would look clean and classic.
I also recommend a white oversized or cropped t-shirt. Both styles look incredibly good with mom jeans.
When it’s chilly out, I love to wear knitwear with my mom jeans too. I would also layer on a black leather jacket to complete the look.
Since mom jeans are high-waisted, I like to tuck in my tops with a french tuck or full tuck. This will help highlight the waist area and elongate the legs.
In addition, blouses, tank tops, and cardigans look equally great with mom jeans too. If you need some inspiration, here’s a list of cute tops to check out:
- Venus: Cropped Linen Top – Lightweight linen fabric defines this easy cropped top!
- Kohl’s: Nine West Essential V-Neck Tee – Take on the day in style with this women’s essential tee from Nine West.
- Macys: Vince Camuto Clip-Dot Smocked-Cuff Top – This adorable blouse features a V-neck blouse with smocked cuffs and a clip-dot design.
How Do I Wear Mom Jeans In My 40s?
Mom jeans can be very flattering on women over 40. Just because you’re older, doesn’t mean that you can’t rock this style!
Look for these things when shopping for a good pair of mom jeans when you’re over 40 and vying for a timeless look.
Here’s a few tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t buy jeans with trendy embellishments. That means stay away from distressed details, graphics, patches, fancy embroidery, asymmetric cuts, and more. You want the classic jeans look because it’s timeless and looks good no matter what age you are!
- Choose the classic dark colors. A nice dark blue or black will pair nicely with just about any top you have. They’re subtle and sleek staple jeans colors.
- Have a few off-white or light blue jeans to create a more casual and relaxed look. Plus, it gives you more fun outfit options.
- Make sure the length of your mom jeans hits at the ankle. If it’s too long, get it tailored or roll up the hem. The perfect length will elongate the legs.
How Do I Style Mom Jeans With Boots?
Boots look great with mom jeans too. If you’re wondering how to style mom jeans with boots, then I have a few key tips for you!
My favorite boots to pair with mom jeans are ankle boots with a heel. The heel helps elongate the legs and offset the bagginess of the jeans.
I also love to pair them with chunky platforms. Basically, boots that have a heel or platform will look especially flattering with mom jeans.
Look for neutral colored boots to pair with mom jeans. I highly recommend black boots since they work with pretty much any colored jeans.
In addition, you can have your mom jeans’ hem cover the top of your boots or have it tucked into the boots, if you can.
Just make sure the length of the mom jeans hits the ankle. Otherwise, you can roll the hem up to your ankle.
What Body Type Do Mom Jeans Look Good On?
Although mom jeans were created to fit women’s post-pregnancy bodies, they’re actually flattering on all body types and it doesn’t matter if you had a pregnancy before or not.
In fact, they’re especially flattering on pear or hourglass shaped bodies. A pear shaped body type has wider hips, so the mom jeans’ high waisted cut and loose hip area helps slim down the hips and balance out the overall body shape.
Mom jeans will also compliment the curves and highlight the waist area on an hourglass body shape.
The most important tip is to make sure the mom jeans fit you just right. The length should hit right at the ankle and fit loose on places that should be loose.
What Are The Best Places To Buy Mom Jeans?
Shopping for the perfect pair of mom jeans can be a tedious process. They’re so many options!
Luckily, I know all the best online spots to shop for mom jeans. Check out these stores and mom jeans I picked out for you:
- Levi’s: HIGH LOOSE TAPER FIT WOMEN’S JEANS – These are the Mom Jeans you’ve been looking for. Let loose with this modern interpretation of a classic ’90s style, featuring a flattering high rise and stacked, tapered leg.
- Free People: CRVY Georgine Mom Jeans – Designed for a forever flattering fit, these retro-inspired jeans are featured in a non-stretch, rigid denim fabrication and super high-rise silhouette with raw bottom hem for a true lived-in look.
- Madewell: The Perfect Vintage Jean in Drayton Wash – The cut: With their waist-accentuating high rise and tapered legs, these are “mom jeans”…if your mom was a ’90s supermodel. The fabric is made of their best-selling Heritage Stretch denim, which has an old-school look and a touch of give for a perfectly broken-in feel
- Abercrombie & Fitch: Curve Love High Rise Mom Jean – Curve Love high rise mom jeans in vintage stretch denim and medium wash with crease detail and frayed hem.
- American Eagle: AE Strigid Mom Jean – Rigid in the front. Stretchy in the back. Magic all over with innovative 50/50 construction. The vintage look of 100% cotton denim, but with the comfort and ease of your favorite stretchy pants.
I hope this inspires you to create some outfits around mom jeans. They aren’t hard to style at all! Plus, they flatter the figure in an incredibly comfy way too.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
You May Also Like To Read:
- 9 Affordable Designer Brands & How To Get The Best Deals
- Best 8 Secondhand Stores Online & Shopping Tips
- How to Find Your Style In 4 Steps: Tips & Tricks That Work!
- How To Look Expensive AF In 11 Tips & Tricks
- 38 Best SHEIN Finds That You’ll Want To Buy Right Now + Ultimate Shopping Guide
- 7 Cute Long Skirt Outfits & Style Tips You Need To Know Now!
- A Winter Capsule Wardrobe That’s Classic, Timeless, & Cozy
- Ideas For Club Outfits That’ll Make You The Girl Of The Hour
What do you think?