A wearable, fun, and practical capsule wardrobe you can wear all winter long!
I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe that’s easy to pull off. With just a small collection of pieces, you have outfits to wear to the office, running errands, parties, lounging around, and more.
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing that can be mixed and matched to create a wide variety of outfits. All the pieces in the collection complement each other, which makes outfit coordination a breeze!
It’s a great way to add some style to your wardrobe and make it more accessible. A good winter capsule wardrobe can help you transition from a casual to formal outfit easily. It can even help you discover a new way to wear your favorite pieces!
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing that can be mixed and matched to create a wide variety of outfits.
Plus, it’s a great way to minimize your closet to only the key pieces you’ll need. You’ll save tons of time dressing in the morning!
So, if you are looking for a wardrobe that’s easy to wear and pull off, this is the wardrobe for you. For more winter capsule wardrobe inspiration, keep on reading.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
Winter Capsule Wardrobe: What To Wear In Winter
The winter capsule wardrobe is a curated collection of items that you can wear every winter. It’s incredibly flexible and customizable, so you won’t get bored with it every year.
I know that it’s hard to curate a winter capsule wardrobe, so if you have any questions, I am here to help.
I put together a winter capsule wardrobe list that’s filled with pieces that I personally recommend. Below, you will find the essential pieces that you need in a winter capsule wardrobe.
Style Tip: Keep a consistent color theme in your wardrobe. I highly recommend neutral colors, such as white, beige, brown, gray, and black. These colors never go out of style!
Feel free to tweak it to your needs. You’ll be cozy and chic in no time!
One of the first winter capsule wardrobe staples I have to recommend are basic turtlenecks. Not only do they keep you cozy in frigid temperatures, but they look incredibly chic too.
When looking for turtlenecks, opt for fitted turtlenecks. This will hug your body better to trap in warmth and help highlight your curves. A thin, black body-hugging turtleneck is the ultimate slimming piece.
Plus, turtlenecks help elongate the neck and make you seem taller. Points for keeping your neck warm and making you look stylish!
❄️ Shop Turtlenecks❄️
- ASKET: The Merino Turtleneck – Made from 100% traceable Argentinian extra-fine merino wool, knitted to an ultralight, yet super durable 24-gauge knit. It’s a favorite among actresses, public figures, designers and artists over the last century
- Lauren Ralph Lauren: Ribbed Turtleneck Sweater (On Sale! – $41.70) – A high-quality ribbed turtleneck by a well known designer brand at an affordable price.
- Leith: Turtleneck Sweater ($37.99) – Love the clean, neutral beige color and it’s minimal design!
- Basic Long Sleeve Shirt
When winter comes around, the long sleeve shirt replaces my short sleeve shirt. This is near the top of my list because they’re one of the best layering pieces!
You can wear a long sleeve shirt under button-downs, sweaters, cardigans and more. Plus, they look great on their own too.
I highly recommend getting a basic long sleeve shirt in white, black, and tan to cover your bases. This is a winter capsule wardrobe staple you will not regret.
❄️ Shop Long Sleeve Shirts ❄️
- Soft Surroundings: Isabel Pima Long Sleeve Tee ($49.95) – Long sleeve V-neck top with curved high-low hem, side slits, and forward-shifting side seams that slims a silhouette.
- Tail: Arcadia Top – Crystal Grey – This long sleeve top features a boatneck with a kangaroo pocket.
- Uniqlo: HEATTECH CREW NECK LONG-SLEEVE T-SHIRT ($19.90) – A versatile inner layer providing warmth around the neckline.
If you’re constantly tucking in your tops, then a bodysuit is the perfect for you! Bodysuits are secured in place all-day and virtually free of any lumps from tucking in a top. It’s a seamless tucked-in top that stays in place!
These one-piece, skin-tight tops cover the torso and crotch area. It’s perfect as a layering piece in your winter capsule wardrobe. They also look great on their own too!
❄️ Shop Bodysuits ❄️
- And Now This: Women’s Crewneck Bodysuit ($29) – A great basic long sleeve bodysuit with a classic crewneck.
- INC International Concepts: Jeannie Mai X INC Bianca Cowl Neck Bodysuit (On Sale! – $39.75) – Add an effortless chic appeal to your look with this high-waisted cowl neck bodysuit.
- Tail: E.J. Bodysuit – Onyx Black (On Sale! – $63.20) – Love the design of this asymmetrical long sleeve bodysuit with shoulder cut out!
- White Button-Down
A crisp, white button down is versatile, timeless, and seasonless. I don’t think it will ever go out of style. It works great in casual outfits and makes you look professional in an instant too.
In the winter, they work really well as layering pieces. You can layer a loose sweater, such as a sweater vest, over a white button down for an instantly chic look.
❄️ Shop White Button-Down ❄️
- Soft Surroundings: Escambria Shirt ($69.95) – It’s made of breathable tactile warmth of a bubble gauze cotton tunic, with collared V-neck, long sleeves, and side slits.
- Lexington Clothing Co.: Elsa Lyocell Blouse – This airy blouse is spun from Tencel™ lyocell that is exceedingly soft and it has an exaggerated collar, bishop sleeves along with piped detailing around the collar, sleeves, and backside yoke.
- ASKET: The Shirt – Cut from a crisp and breezy organic cotton poplin, it features a slightly oversized silhouette with dropped shoulders and a long back.
Sweaters & Knitwear
- Thick Knitted Sweaters
Every winter, we all tend to stuff our wardrobes with chunky knits that take up so much space! The truth is, you only need a few basic thick knits to keep you warm. Just add some layering pieces underneath and I’ll guarantee you that you’ll stay toasty warm.
As for color, look for a few in neutral colors, such as white, tan, brown, and black. Try to get a diverse range of necklines too.
For instance, get a white crew neck sweater, black v-neck sweater, and brown mock turtleneck sweater. Varying the styles of your sweaters will help you create a wider range of different outfits!
❄️ Shop Thick Knitted Sweaters ❄️
- ASKET: The Mock Neck Sweater – A chunky knit, made of 100% recycled wool from an Italian mill with over a century of experience in high end yarns, The Mock Neck Sweater features an oversized fit with dropped shoulders and subtly contrasting hems, cuffs and neckline.
- Lexington Clothing Co.: Ebba Alpaca Blend Mock Neck Sweater – Made from superfine alpaca wool and a blend of merino wool and nylon, this sweater has a mock neck and is made for a casual fit.
- ASKET: The Cashmere Sweater – An Italian engineering marvel, this sweater is a fully fashioned knit, made of 97% recycled and mechanically dyed Cashmere – in other words, it’s as gentle on the planet as it is on your skin.
- Cropped Knit Sweater
Don’t forget about cropped sweaters too! Cropped sweaters look great with high-waisted bottoms and require no tucking either.
The cropped length hits right above high-waisted bottoms, which is a match made in heaven. I love wearing cropped sweaters with my high-waisted jeans and pants. They’re incredibly trendy and made chic outfits too.
❄️ Shop Cropped Knit Sweaters ❄️
- francesca’s: Sandra Cropped Ribbed Sweater ($33) – The high neckline and scalloped hem add subtle details to this otherwise classic top.
- Princess Polly: JESICA SWEATER WHITE – This chic crop sweater is slim fitting with adjustable ruching at the sides.
- Lulus: Chilly Day Fave Beige Knit Turtleneck Cropped Sweater – Thick and stretchy knit shapes this essential sweater that has a folded turtleneck and dolman long sleeves.
- Sweater Dress
Just because it’s winter, doesn’t mean you can’t wear a dress. If I had to recommend one dress for a winter capsule wardrobe, it would have to be the sweater dress.
A body-hugging knit dress is the perfect piece to wear for events or occasions where you want to look more refined or classy. They can easily be dressed down for casual outfits too. Make sure you get a longer length (midi or maxi) for a classier look and warmth.
❄️ Shop Sweater Dress ❄️
- Lou & Grey: Pullover Sweater – This sweater dress has a turtleneck neckline and comes in a gorgeous caramel color.
- Uniqlo: WAFFLE CREW NECK LONG-SLEEVE DRESS ($29.90) – It’s made of soft waffle fabric and it’s got pockets!
- Bar III: Ribbed Sweater Dress ($49.99) – This ribbed sweater dress features a slim hemline and a sleek row of vertical buttons. It’s perfect for desk-to-dinner styles!
Thermals & Base Layers
I can’t stress how important it is to invest in quality thermal and base layers. These thin layers will keep you surprisingly warm in frigid temperatures.
Thermal clothing is the base layer you wear under your outfit and is often the first layer that touches your skin. They help trap body heat better than regular clothes.
Wear thermals to protect your legs, arms and especially the core. Your core is extremely important because it keeps the body warm throughout.
Thermals also help regulate your body temperature since it’s in direct contact with your skin, so you don’t have to worry about overheating. I really can’t stress thermals enough for the winter!
❄️ Shop Thermals ❄️
- icebreaker: Merino 200 Oasis Long Sleeve Crewe Thermal Top – This thermal is a versatile, go-anywhere shirt made from breathable 100% merino wool jersey,
- Uniqlo – WOMEN HEATTECH LEGGINGS ($19.90) – Keep your legs and stomach warm with these soft leggings.
- icebreaker: Merino 200 Oasis Long Sleeve Half Zip Thermal Top – This top is 100% merino wool base layer top with a classic zip-neck design.
Cardigans add a lightweight layer and are great for chilly indoor temperatures. Consider cropped cardigans too because they look great with high waisted pants or dresses. Make sure you get neutral colors, such white, gray, beige, or black for super easy outfit coordination.
❄️ Shop Cardigans ❄️
- Soft Surroundings: Palestrina Cable Cardigan ($99.95) – Intricate mixed stitchwork and soft yarns add lushness and appeal to this sumptuous open-front cardigan.
- Quiz: Cream Bow Detail Knitted Cardigan – This knitted cardigan has an adorable bow design and an embellished brooch for that extra unique detail!
- Lauren Ralph Lauren: Blouson-Sleeve Cardigan ($89.50) – A stretch cotton blend lends a comfortable feel and a soft hand, which features a relaxed silhouette enhanced with fluid blouson sleeves.
Get a blazer if you don’t own one yet! They instantly make an outfit look smart and can be dressed down for more casual looks.
For instance, you can style a blazer with a t-shirt and jeans. In addition, slouchy blazers look great with a slip dress. Blazers are seasonless and timeless, so you’ll find yourself wearing them year-round.
❄️ Shop Blazers ❄️
- Rachel Zoe: White Blazer ($93.99) – This crisp white blazer will look great with jeans or pants.
- Tory Burch: DOUBLE-FACED WOOL BLAZER ($628) – This luxurious blazer has a relaxed cut in super-soft double-faced wool, with flap front pockets and a back vent.
- Lulu’s: Alma Cream Tie-Waist Blazer – Woven fabric shapes this chic blazer that has a notched collared neckline and long sleeves with padding at the shoulders. This is great for the office or or going out for drinks!
- Long Down Or Puffer Jacket
A nice, well-made down jacket is an absolute winter capsule wardrobe essential. These coats are insulated with geese or duck feathers or synthetic insulation that create air pockets to retain warm air.
They keep you incredibly warm in ridiculously cold winter weather. I’m an east coast girl and I swear by them in the winter.
❄️ Shop Long Down Or Puffer Jacket ❄️
- Lulus: Embrace the Cold Black Quilted Long Puffer Jacket – Quilted woven fabric shapes this sleek jacket that has a puffy construction and shapes a hooded neckline (with cinching drawstring ties) and long sleeves with fitted ribbed knit cuffs.
- Quiz: Stone Longline Padded Jacket – This padded, longline puffer jacket looks chic and comes in 2 beautiful neutral colors.
- Lexington Clothing Co.: Kylie Quilted Jacket – This quilted jacket is lined with polyester and padded with a mix of recycled polyester and down filling.
- Long Wool Coat
These classy, timeless coats are a must in every winter wardrobe capsule! They will instantly make you look more sophisticated and expensive. Trust me, this coat style will never go out of style.
Make sure to get a quality thick wool jacket for better warmth. Wool is a natural insulator thatl blocks the cold from getting in. It’s also water-resistant too, so it can handle unexpected rain showers.
Opt for a neutral-colored long wool coat. I highly recommend camel or beige for wool coats. It’s such a classic color that will look great on everyone.
❄️ Shop Long Wool Coats ❄️
- Uniqlo: WOMEN DOUBLE FACE CHESTER LONG COAT (On Sale! – $79.90) – Double-faced fabric with a premium look. This long coat has a relaxed fit for easy layering.
- Kenneth Cole: Single-Breasted Fringe Walker Coat (On Sale! – $199.99) – The fringe on the sleeves adds a chic touch to this classic mid-length coat.
- G.H. Bass & Co. : Wool Coat – Love this brown wool coat with black toggle closures!
- Teddy Coat
Teddy coats are just as fluffy and warm as it sounds! I love to have a teddy coat in my closet for more casual outfits. It’s a great way to switch up my typical down jacket or wool coat looks.
Not only do they make great first date outfits, but they’re super comfortable and cute too. Plus, they pair well with my high-waisted straight leg jeans and other casual outfits.
❄️ Shop Teddy Coats ❄️
- Uniqlo: WOMEN PILE-LINED FLEECE TAILORED COAT ($49.90) – A teddy coat with the elegant styling of a tailored coat. This versatile coat goes with any outfit.
- Vince Camuto: Hooded Faux-Fur Teddy Puffer Coat ($112) – Cozy up to this stylish puffer coat from Vince Camuto, a hooded pick designed in soft faux fur throughout.
- Calvin Klein: Women’s Cropped Faux-Fur Teddy Coat (On Sale! – $104) – Cozy up to this ultra-comfy coat from Calvin Klein, a faux-fur look with a cropped fit and hand-warming pockets.
- Black Leggings
Black leggings are an essential foundation piece for easy comfort and warmth. They’re super easy to pair with ankle boots, sneakers, and blazers too.
Look for interesting textures, such as quilted or faux leather textures for a unique twist to the typical black leggings.
❄️ Shop Black Leggings ❄️
- Soft Surroundings: Must-Have Leggings ($49.95) – These soft jersey leggings feature a wide waistband with power mesh interior for tummy control – creating a smoother appearance and comfier fit.
- Soft Surroundings: Faux Suede Leggings (On Sale! – $38.99) – These buttery soft faux suede leggings deliver a luxe, slender profile with smooth, moveable stretch and a comfy pull-on waistband.
- XCVI: Gyles Legging ($108) – These leggings have a stylish leather look with side-slits at the ankle for a chic touch!
- High-Waisted Jeans
Denim jeans are also a year-round staple and go-to for casual looks. I like to keep timeless silhouettes in my wardrobe, so that it always stays fresh.
Loose jeans and straight blue jeans have modern silhouettes that don’t seem to go out of style. I also recommend high-waisted jeans and experimenting with hems, such as cropped, wide leg, or flare jeans.
In terms of color, I recommend blue or cream jeans for maximum versatility. You really can’t go wrong with these colors.
❄️ Shop High-Waisted Jeans ❄️
- Uniqlo: WOMEN STRAIGHT HIGH-RISE JEANS ($49.90) – Straight leg jeans inspired by a 1990s style. 100% cotton with an authentic denim texture.
- Lexington Clothing Co.: Zoe Blue Denim Pants – These 5-pocket stretch denim pants are crafted from a blend of organic and non-organic cotton and are styled for a slim fit with a slim and full length leg.
- francesca’s: 90s Baby Embroidered Straight Jeans – Vintage-inspired and a true mom jean fit, these women’s jeans are featured in a medium wash, cut high at the waist, relaxed through the hip, and tapered through the leg.
- Pants Or Trousers
Pants or trousers are super versatile and can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. They’re a year-round staple for me, especially in the winter.
I highly recommend purchasing black or tan trousers for easy outfit coordination. I also love high-waisted and wide leg styles for their leg elongating effect.
Also, try to add a mix of different fabrics to the winter capsule wardrobe. I love faux leather pants and knitted pants. Faux leather immediately gives your outfit an edgy look and both fabrics are great for retaining warmth.
❄️ Shop Pants & Trousers ❄️
- Runway: CREPE TROUSER (On Sale! – $149) – An elegant trouser in woven crepe that’s easy to wear and care for.
- And Now This: Women’s Satin Trousers ($49) – A compliment-worthy pair from And Now This, these satin trousers feature a roomy silhouette and pleated front.
- Lexington Clothing Co.: Lilly Cotton/Modal Tapered Pants – These tapered pants are crafted from a blend of cotton, modal and elastane and are treated with an antique garment dye.
Skirts are great winter capsule wardrobe essentials too. Long skirts can be paired with leather boots for a winter chic look.
Make sure you wear over-the-knee boots and black leggings for an easy layered look. Plus, it keeps you legs warm too!
❄️ Shop Long Skirts ❄️
- Soft Surroundings: Weston Park Skirt (On Sale! – $69.99) – Elegant and timeless – this stylish midi has a flowy tiered, overlapping bottom that drapes from the waistband.
- And Now This: Midi Slip Skirt (On Sale! – $26.40) – Slip on this gorgeous midi skirt from And Now This designed with a pretty tonal print throughout every inch.
- Anne Klein: Faux-Leather Wrap-Skirt ($53.40) – Move through your day with confidence in the faux-leather skirt from Anne Klein. Pair with it a tucked-in top and heels for a sleek finish.
- Ankle Boots
The chunky heel makes it comfortable to walk in and gives you a bit of height. They also make an outfit look sleek and pair so well with just about any bottom.
❄️ Shop Ankle Boots ❄️
- Maryland Square: David Tate Ellen – These cute booties have a 2″ heel for extra height and a treaded bottom for more grip. Style and practicality!
- MICHAEL Michael Kors: Alistair Lace-Up Lug Sole Combat Booties (On Sale! – $79.93) – Lacing up a sleek silhouette, the Alistair booties from Michael Michael Kors bring bold moto inspiration to your favorite looks.
- Maryland Square: Rockport Cobb Hill Collection Laurel Rivet Boot – Stroll in luxury to any occasion with this oh-so chic ruched bootie.
These boots work so well as a layering piece and really help elongate your legs. They can be worn over straight leg jeans for a simple layered look or paired with a skirt and black leggings. It immediately makes you look so chic!
❄️ Shop Over The Knee Boots ❄️
- Maryland Square: Beacon Helena – An edgy update on mod style, with a cool color-block look accented by a metallic heel band
- Marc Fischer: Renn Over The Knee Boots (On Sale! – $59.99) – Marc Fisher tempers the stunning silhouette of these Renn over-the-knee boots with a modest block heel, metal rand on the back heel and lace-up detail.
- Maryland Square: David Tate Ace – These boots have a wide shaft design, which accommodates athletic calves and has waterproof construction.
- White Sneakers
Sneakers are a year-round staple that also work great in the winter when your feet need a break from wearing boots. Whether it’s a chunky dad sneaker or a classic converse, sneakers add a sporty flair to any casual look.
❄️ Shop White Sneakers ❄️
- Maryland Square: Easy Spirit Romy – Walk, run. You set the pace in this versatile leather/mesh/polyurethane sport shoe.
- francesca’s: Berness Sophia Sneaker (On Sale! – $40.50) – These chunky sneakers have a pop of neutral brown colors, which will go great with any of your casual outfits!
- Maryland Square: Reebok Princess – A popular athleisure sneaker perfect for walking or just relaxing!
The accessories you pair with your outfits can make a difference. These small details can easily spice up a plain outfit. However, we don’t want to go overboard with accessories in a winter capsule wardrobe–just the key essentials.
Avoid over accessorizing and keep your accessories minimal. For instance, simple and minimal gold jewelry works really well. You want accessories to add a bit of shine and complement your outfit, not overwhelm it.
Try to avoid chunky statement jewelry or trendy accessories. For instance, I love dainty chain necklaces and chokers that highlight my neckline. Don’t be afraid to layer 1 or 2 more accessories together, but don’t overdo it. It’s all about balance!
Style Tip: Color coordinate your scarf, beanie, and gloves to make sure you’re on top of your accessories game. Stick to neutral colors for that classic look that will work well with everything in your winter capsule wardrobe.
- Blanket Scarf
Invest in a quality cashmere or wool blanket scarf to keep your neck warm and cozy. Did you also know that blanket scarves are very versatile too.
They can be wrapped around your shoulders, worn as a shawl, or draped like a blanket indoors. Plus, the extra large fabric will keep you plenty comfy in the frigid cold.
❄️ Shop Blanket Scarves ❄️
- ASKET: The Oversized Cashmere Wool Scarf – Woven from 100% recycled wool, increasing the share of Cashmere from 10% to 45% for even greater comfort.
- Lexington Clothing Co.: Massachussets Recycled Wool Blend Scarf – Combining recycled and virgin wool through a twill weave, fringed edges, and an incredibly soft texture
- Calvin Klein: Striped Blanket Scarf (On Sale! – $29.99) – Disproportionate stripes lend a haphazard cool to this comfortably oversized Calvin Klein blanket scarf.
Even with a thick jacket and proper layering, a beanie is essential to keep the head warm, especially if your coat or jacket doesn’t have a hood. Plus, beanies keep your hair in place when it’s windy out.
Choose beanies made of smooth material, such as cashmere, silk, and angora. This will help prevent your hair from getting frizzy. Also, make sure the beanie fits loosely. A tight-fitting beanie will only exacerbate hat hair.
❄️ Shop Beanies ❄️
- Lexington Clothing Co.: Stockton Lambswool Beanie – Offered in a bold and versatile dark grey melange or pure black, this beanie is woven from a blend of lambswool and nylon.
- Soft Surroundings: Faux Fur Beanie (On Sale! – $19.99) – Soft and sweet with just a touch of whimsy, this fuzzy beanie is sure to keep you cozy. Soft and stretchy with a festive little pom on top!
- francesca’s: Allie Ribbed Beanie – Stay warm when the temperatures drop with this beanie. The ribbed material will keep you casually cool and cozy.
There’s nothing worse than standing outside with numb fingers from the cold. That’s why I highly recommend getting a pair of leather or cashmere gloves.
A nice pair of gloves is stylish and practical too. Make sure to look for gloves that are touchscreen compatible, so you can use your phone without taking them off outside!
❄️ Shop Gloves ❄️
- Soft Surroundings: Cashmere Blend Removable Faux Rabbit Fur Gloves (On Sale! – $24.99) – An oversized cuff of lavish faux rabbit fur adds glamorous texture to these waffle knit gloves in an exceptionally soft and warm cashmere blend.
- Quiz: Cream Fluffy Knit Gloves – These fluffy white gloves are so cute and will go well with everything!
- Layered Necklace
I love the layered necklace look! They look incredibly good on top of turtleneck tops too. Look for gold-toned layered necklaces that can be worn together and separately.
❄️ Shop Layered Necklaces ❄️
- Soft Surroundings: Triple Layer Bar & Coin Necklace ($49.99) – Perfectly pre-layered, this shimmering 14K gold-plated necklace presents three tiers of delicate chains – unadorned, plus a solid bar and a coin disc.
- francesca’s: Catalina Layered Necklace (On Sale! – $9) – The multi-row faceted beads make this necklace dainty and one-of-a-kind.
- Small Gold Hoops
A pair of small gold hoops add a touch of elegance and sophistication to an outfit, without being too overwhelming.
❄️ Shop Small Gold Hoops ❄️
- Anne Klein: Small 1/2″ Hoop Earrings ($14) – Always classic. You’re always in style with these gleaming hoop earrings by Anne Klein.
- francesca’s: Irina Thick Hoop Earrings – Studded with graphic Double Ts and 18K gold plated. These earrings are a stunner!
- Shoulder Bag
A chic and quality shoulder bag is the only bag that you’ll need for your winter capsule wardrobe. It’s also extremely easy to coordinate with your outfits too!
❄️ Shop Shoulder Bags❄️
- COACH: Ergo Medium Leather Shoulder Bag (On Sale! – $153.93) – Sleek and structured in luxe leather, this Ergo shoulder bag by COACH features a sleek zip top to secure your essentials. It comes in a beautiful cream color. At this price, it’s an incredible steal!
- MICHAEL Michael Kors: Shoulder Bag – Love the warm, brown color and quilted design. It looks so luxe!
Winter Capsule Wardrobe FAQs
What Should Be In A Winter Capsule Wardrobe?
As a fashion blogger, I always loved the winter capsule wardrobe for its functionality and practicality. A good winter capsule wardrobe is designed to give you a variety of outfit options that should last you all winter, but that doesn’t mean you have to start from scratch.
You’ll want plenty of layering pieces in your winter capsule wardrobe. This includes, turtlenecks, knit sweaters, leggings, jeans, pants, coats, boots, and more. The tricky part is to just keep it to the essentials. Also, make sure that each piece can easily match with several others for maximum versatility.
You’ll want plenty of layering pieces in your winter capsule wardrobe.
Chances are that you already have some of the key pieces you need! The best winter capsule wardrobe is the one you have in your closet, so start there first.
Every winter, I always take a hard look at what I already own and start from there. The reason I love doing this is because it helps me look for new ways to wear pieces I already own.
Then, I would ask myself what pieces I need this winter. A winter capsule wardrobe will vary depending on where you live and what kind of lifestyle you need to dress for.
For instance, if I lived in Los Angeles, temperatures in the winter hover around 60°F, so I wouldn’t need large puffer jackets. Also, if I worked at an office often, I would make sure to include more office appropriate clothes too.
Whether you are looking to get dressed up on the weekends or go grocery shopping, it’s important to cater it to your specific needs!
How Many Pieces Are In A Winter Capsule Wardrobe?
The key to building a good winter capsule wardrobe is to invest in quality pieces. It’s better to have fewer quality clothing than a lot of cheap, low-quality clothes.
There isn’t a hard rule on exactly how many clothes should be in a capsule wardrobe. The general rule of thumb is between 25 to 50 pieces, but it really depends on your personal preference and lifestyle.
Remember, it’s quality over quantity. Your wardrobe should have quality basics in neutral colors and classic prints.
How Many Pants Should Be In A Capsule Wardrobe?
It’s hard to answer this question because it really depends on your lifestyle. A good way to figure out how many pants you need is to start with just 3 pairs of pants.
Try to choose pants that vary in fabric and styles. This will help you add more variety and create different outfits.
Try to choose pants that vary in fabric and styles.
Next, try to create different outfits in a week. At the end of the week ask yourself, do you need more or less pairs of pants? You might find that you need more. If so, slowly add a pair of pants each week if you need more.
Start small and work your way up to find the perfect amount of pants that work for you. Always challenge yourself to minimize as much as possible.
How Do You Wear Skirts In The Winter?
I know, skirts are not exactly winter appropriate, but here’s a few tips to layer up and still be warm in a skirt!
Pull on a pair of thigh high boots to keep your legs warm. These long boots will cover up most of your legs and keep them toasty. Still not enough? Layer a pair of thermal tights underneath for extra warmth.
I also recommend longer skirts, such as midi, maxi, or knee-length skirts. You’ll be toasty warm and cute too!
Are Capsule Wardrobes Realistic?
Yes, it’s very realistic and it comes with a ton of benefits. Here’s some of the benefits you can reap from a winter capsule wardrobe:
- More Money In Your Pocket
Clothes curated for a capsule wardrobe are purchased with meaning and intent. They’re not impulse buys of the latest cute trend. Therefore, you’re less likely to purchase items that just end up collecting dust at the back of your closet.
Also, a capsule wardrobe is planned in advance, so it leaves less room for unintended purchases. The key to curating a good winter capsule wardrobe is to shop for all the necessary pieces at the beginning of the season, so you’re not tempted to purchase more later.
- Effortless & Quick Outfits
A good capsule wardrobe also means that all your items will match each other well. Therefore, it should have a cohesive theme. If you only had 2 minutes to get dressed, would you be able to pull out a ready to wear outfit? A capsule wardrobe can help you get dressed in a moment’s notice.
- Timeless & Classic Styles
A versatile and long-lasting capsule wardrobe is filled with timeless and classic styles. Whether it’s for work, meetings, classy events, or a drink with friends, your capsule wardrobe has you covered. You will find yourself wearing these pieces for many years to come!
However, I do have to warn you, it can take time to perfect. If you’re not used to styling a small wardrobe, it can be challenging. It will take effort and perseverance, but the end result is well worth it!
How Many Sweaters Are In A Capsule Wardrobe?
There isn’t a set number of sweaters that should go into a winter capsule wardrobe. It all depends on an individual’s lifestyle and preference.
It all depends on an individual’s lifestyle and preference.
However, a winter capsule wardrobe is all about minimizing your choices to just the essentials. If you’re not sure where to start, I suggest choosing 3 sweaters in varying styles and colors.
Then, try to style and wear the 3 sweaters over the course of the week. Is it enough for you to keep making outfits or do you need to add more? If you need to add more, only add 1 sweater at a time every week until you’re satisfied.
That’s it! I truly hope this inspires you to curate your own stylish winter capsule wardrobe that you’ll love for years to come.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
You May Also Like To Read
- Ideas For Club Outfits That’ll Make You The Girl Of The Hour
- 9 Affordable Designer Brands & How To Get The Best Deals
- What To Wear On A First Date For Drinks? Let Me Inspire You!
- Model Off-Duty Look Essentials & Tips To Get The Aesthetic!
- Shoes To Wear With Joggers For Women & Cute Outfit Ideas
- What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather – 6 Cute Everyday Outfits