I hate to break it to you, but our sunny summer days are about to end. There’s still a few weeks to pull on those denim shorts and cute mini-dresses, but we’ll be reaching for knits before you know it.
It’s time to welcome a new wardrobe change for the upcoming fall season. This is the best time to start planning a fall capsule wardrobe!
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing that can be mixed and matched to create a wide variety of outfits. All the pieces in the collection complement each other, which makes outfit coordination a breeze!
The key to curating a capsule wardrobe is to only have the essential and classic pieces.
There isn’t a hard rule on exactly how many clothes should be in a capsule wardrobe. The general rule of thumb is between 25 to 50 pieces, but it really depends on your personal preference.
The key to curating a capsule wardrobe is to only have the essential and classic pieces. Also, invest in quality clothes, if you can. It’s better to have fewer quality clothing than a lot of cheap, low-quality clothes.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
What Are The Pros To A Capsule Wardrobe?
- More Money In Your Pocket
Clothes curated for a capsule wardrobe are purchased with meaning and intent. They’re not impulse buys of the latest cute trend. Therefore, you’re less likely to purchase items that just end up collecting dust at the back of your closet.
Also, a capsule wardrobe is planned in advance, so it leaves less room for unintended purchases. The key to curating a good fall capsule wardrobe is to shop for all the necessary pieces at the beginning of the season, so you’re not tempted to purchase more later.
- Effortless & Quick Outfits
A good capsule wardrobe also means that all your items will match each other well. Therefore, it should have a cohesive theme. If you only had 2 minutes to get dressed, would you be able to pull out a ready to wear outfit? A capsule wardrobe can help you get dressed in a moment’s notice.
- Timeless & Classic Styles
A versatile and long-lasting capsule wardrobe is filled with timeless and classic styles. Whether it’s for work, meetings, classy events, or a drink with friends, your capsule wardrobe has you covered. You will find yourself wearing these pieces for many years to come!
- A Basic White T-Shirt
This is an essential foundation piece for any casual outfit. A white t-shirt is seasonless and is almost guaranteed to work with any pair of bottoms. Make sure you invest in a good quality t-shirt because you will find yourself wearing it all year round.
🍁 Shop White T-Shirt 🍁
- Rebecca Taylor: SLIM-FIT ESSENTIAL TEE – Cut from the same soft cotton jersey you love, now in a slimmer silhouette for a slightly more polished finish to skirts, shorts, and denim.
- Pretty Little Thing: BASIC WHITE COTTON BLEND FITTED CREW NECK T SHIRT – Featuring a White Cotton Blend material with a crew neck design and short sleeves.
- Michael Kors: Stretch Viscose T-Shirt – Versatility at its finest, this T-shirt is crafted from soft stretch-viscose with a crew neckline and short sleeves.
- Fitted Turtleneck
I love how slimming fitted turtlenecks can be and I can’t wait to wear them this fall myself. Turtlenecks have an elongating neckline, which gives the illusion that you are taller. You can also layer them underneath a button down or loose top. Purchase a black, grey, or white turtleneck for easy outfit coordination.
🍁 Shop Fitted Turtlenecks 🍁
- Woman Within: Ribbed Cotton Turtleneck – A timeless wardrobe essential in a feel-good ribbed knit with a flattering refined fit.
- Bergdorf Goodman: Chloe Slim-Fit Wool Turtleneck – This fine knit pullover that slim fit is chic and timeless.
- Tory Burch: RIBBED KNIT TURTLENECK – Spun from super-soft cashmere, our knit turtleneck is cozy and chic, with a slouchy rollover collar and a mix of ribbed textures.
- White Button Down
A crisp, white button down is versatile, timeless, and seasonless. I don’t think it will ever go out of style. It works great in casual outfits and can make you look professional in an instant. In the fall, they work really well as layering pieces. You can layer a loose sweater, such as a sweater vest over a white button down for an instantly chic look.
🍁 Shop White Button Down 🍁
- Blair: Fiesta Three-Quarter Sleeve Shirt – From date night to weekend brunch, dress it up or dial it down for whatever’s on the agenda. It looks just as lovely solo as layered with a coordinating tank.
- White Fox Boutique: Out And About Cord Long Sleeve Shirt White – Featuring a cord material with button fastenings, buttoned cuffs and an oversized fit.
- Pretty Little Thing: WHITE SATIN BUTTON FRONT SHIRT – Featuring a lightweight white satin material with an oversized fit and button up front design, this shirt can be styled up or down whatever the occasion.
- Plaid Flannel Top
I normally don’t recommend prints for a capsule wardrobe, but I had to include plaid. Plaid is the signature print of fall and just thinking about it makes me feel so cozy inside. Like white button downs, they are great for layering under sweaters for a pop of pattern. They also coordinate well with casual outfits too!
🍁 Shop Plaid Flannel Top 🍁
- Pretty Little Thing: BROWN OVERSIZED FLANNEL CHECK SHIRT – Featuring a brown material with a contrasting check print, long sleeves and an oversized fit, what’s not to love?
- Old Navy: Oversized Plaid Flannel Boyfriend Tunic Shirt for Women – Plaid is back. (Again). And when this classic print meets the feel-good fabric of this flannel shirt?
- Woman Within: Long Sleeve Flannel Shirt – This menswear-inspired flannel shirt features 3 different classic plaid designs for a bold finish. Pair it with jeans to complete your look.
- Long Sleeve Sweaters
I’m pretty excited to break out my sweater collection this season! There is nothing like a cozy sweater to complete a fall look. For a fall capsule wardrobe, I recommend shopping for neutral colors (think beige, white, black, or grey). To keep it interesting, purchase a few varying styles (think crewnecks, v-necks, turtlenecks or cropped hems).
I also recommend sprinkling a few sweaters with classic patterns, such as stripes and the fall appropriate plaid pattern. Just make sure to avoid loud patterns and prints, so that it fits in your fall capsule collection.
🍁 Shop Long Sleeve Sweaters 🍁
- Tory Burch: RIBBED DOLMAN SLEEVE SWEATER – Eighties sweater dressing with its thick ribbing, dramatic dolman sleeves and mock neck collar.
- Etsy: Hand Knitted Sweater – This hand knitted sweater has dark gray color and hand knit accordion hood with 2 side pockets. This hoodie jumper is good for casual clothing for daily fashion.
- Pretty Little Thing: BLACK HIGH NECK KNIT SWEATER – Featuring a recycled black material with a high neckline and a comfy fit
- Sweater Vest
Sweater vests were trendy last year and it seems like it’s going strong this fall season too. I love the sleeveless look because it gives you layering options. I am particularly obsessed with the look of layering a neutral color sweater vest over a crisp white button down!
They are also perfect for in-between weather. You can layer it over thin shirts for some additional warmth without feeling too stuffy.
🍁 Shop Sweater Vests 🍁
- Woman Within: V-Neck Pullover Sweater Vest – Layer on this sweater vest for extra warmth and timeless style. It adds an instant level of refinement to your workwear and weekend looks.
- Etsy: Hand knitted sweater vest – Hand knitted chunky sweater vest. The sweater is made to allow some room so it can be worn over dress or shirt.
- Tory Burch: V-NECK SWEATER VEST – The timeless layer is detailed with an embroidered front and features a relaxed fit.
- Knit Dress
A body-hugging knit dress is the perfect piece to wear for events or occasions where you want to look more refined or classy. They can easily be dressed down for casual outfits too. Make sure you get a longer length (midi or maxi) for a classier look and warmth.
🍁 Shop Knit Dress 🍁
- Pretty Little Thing: CREAM SOFT BELTED KNITTED SWEATER DRESS – Featuring a cream knitted material with a belted design and a relaxed fit.
- Woman Within: Two-Piece Sweater Dress – Meet the most comfortable outfit of the season – this 2 piece set is just what you need to keep warm and look stylish.
- Tory Burch: SHEER KNIT SWEATER DRESS – The sheer sweater dress is ultra-versatile, with a removable silk slip and cord belt.
Pants or trousers are super versatile and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. They are a year-round staple for me, especially in the fall. I highly recommend purchasing black, grey, or tan trousers for easy outfit coordination. I also love high-waisted and wide leg styles for their leg elongating effect.
For the fall, I love the look of faux leather pants. They immediately give your outfit an edgy look and it’s great for retaining warmth in colder weather.
🍁 Shop Pants 🍁
- Show Me Your Mumu: Courtright Cargo Pants – The giant pockets you’re used to paired with the wide leg everyone loves!
- Pretty Little Thing: CHOCOLATE BROWN RIBBED TIE DETAIL FLARE LEG PANTS – Featuring a chocolate brown ribbed material with tie detailing and a flared fit.
- Tory Burch: COTTON TWILL PANT – Cotton twill pant has the sophisticated clean lines of a trouser with the comfort and structure of a beloved pair of jeans.
Denim jeans are also a year-round staple and go-to for casual looks. I like to keep timeless silhouettes in my wardrobe, so that it always stays fresh. Loose jeans and straight blue jeans have modern silhouettes that don’t seem to go out of style. I also recommend high-waisted jeans and experimenting with hems, such as cropped wide leg or flare jeans.
In terms of color, I recommend blue or cream jeans for maximum versatility. You really can’t go wrong with those colors.
🍁 Shop Jeans 🍁
- Woman Within: Straight Leg Stretch Jean – Comfortable stretch cotton creates a great fit in these straight-leg jeans.
- maurices: m jeans by maurices™ Everflex™ Flare Button Fly High Rise Jean – The ultimate super stretch, super contouring jean. Crafted with premium sculpting fabric and special tech details, like holds-you-in pockets, it shapes and lifts where you want it most.
- Uniqlo: Slim-Fit Flared Jeans – Comfortable stretch denim with an authentic denim look. High-rise design is fitted around the waist with a flattering flared cut.
Skirts are great fall capsule wardrobe essentials too. Long skirts can be paired with leather boots for the classic fall look. Also, mini skirts are great too if you pair them with over-the-knee boots and black leggings for an easy layered look (and warmth too!).
I recommend denim, pleated, or leather skirts for the fall season. I also think dark florals could be a great print for the fall season too.
🍁 Shop Skirts 🍁
- Pretty Little Thing: BLACK SATIN BIAS CUT MIDI SKIRT – Featuring a black satin material with a bias cut design and a midi length.
- Calvin Klein: Ribbed Midi Skirt – Crafted from wide wale ribbed fabric for a soft hand and a comfortable fit.
- Blair: Corduroy Midi Skirt – Featuring stretch and comfort corduroy, it has a pull-on flat waist, faux fly stitching, and convenient front and back pockets.
- Black Leggings
Black leggings are an essential foundation piece for easy comfort and warmth. They are super easy to pair with ankle boots, sneakers, and blazers too. Look for interesting textures, such as quilted or faux leather textures for a unique twist to a typical black legging.
🍁 Shop Black Leggings 🍁
- Aeropostale: High-Rise Cozy Perfect Leggings – Your favorite leggings, updated with stretchy fleece fabric for extra comfort and warmth during the colder months.
- Pretty Little Thing: BLACK FAUX LEATHER HIGH WAISTED LEGGINGS – Featuring a black faux leather material with a high waisted design and a figure-flattering fit.
- Tory Burch: HIGH-RISE SCULPT COMPRESSION SIDE-POCKET LEGGING – Crafted with high compression fabric, designed to really hold you in and support your muscles through medium- to high-impact workouts.
- Dress Barn: ROZ & ALI TUMMY CONTROL LEGGING – This luxurious stretch, the faux suede fabric is soft and chic and elevates every look
Jackets are great layering pieces and add an extra layer of warmth. For casual outfits, I love layering on a denim jacket. If I want to add a touch of edginess to an outfit, I like adding on a faux leather jacket too.
🍁 Shop Jackets 🍁
- Woman Within: Fleece-Lined Taslon® Anorak – A soft, removable fleece lining combined with water resistant fabric makes this anorak ideal for fighting the elements.
- maurices: Brown Faux Suede Fringe Jacket – This beautiful suede jacket has a gorgeous fringe detail near the collars.
- Uniqlo: Fluffy Yarn Fleece Full-Zip Jacket – Furry fleece with a light, soft feel, plus natural stretch.
Cardigans add a lightweight layer and to throw on in case it gets chilly indoors. Cropped cardigans look great with high waisted pants or dresses. Make sure you get neutral colors, such white, grey, beige, and black for super easy outfit coordination.
Get a blazer if you don’t own one yet! They can instantly make an outfit look smart or can be dressed down for more casual looks. For instance, you can style a blazer with a t-shirt and jeans. In addition, slouchy blazers look great with a slip dress. Blazers are seasonless and timeless, so you’ll find yourself wearing them year-round.
🍁 Shop Blazers 🍁
- Pretty Little Thing: CREAM TAILORED WOVEN BLAZER – Featuring a cream woven fabric with a tailored fit, long sleeves and pocket detailing, what’s not to love?
- Woman Within: Long Wool Blend Blazer – Long wool blend blazer with notch collar. Button front. Long sleeves with buttons at vent.
- maurices: Brown Faux Suede Blazer – This gorgeous blazer made of soft suede fabric comes in a beautiful brown color.
- Trench Coat
A trench coat is an essential outerwear for a fall capsule wardrobe. It’s the perfect transitional fall outerwear. It’s not as thick as a wool coat, but it provides just enough warmth for chilly weather. Make sure you get a long beige trench coat for that classy, timeless look.
🍁 Shop Trench Coat 🍁
- Pretty Little Thing: CAMEL FAUX LEATHER DROP ARM MIDI TRENCH – Featuring a camel faux leather material with a drop arm design and midi length.
- Tory Burch: COTTON TWILL TRENCH COAT – The structured and voluminous silhouette has curved seams, a removable contrast collar and colorful plaid lining.
- Woman Within: Double Breasted Long Trench Coat – A timeless top coat to span the seasons. Detachable hood and tie waist. Water resistant. Fully lined.
- Macy’s: Women’s Angie Water Resistant Hooded Trench Coat – A hidden front closure and clean lines add an easygoing elegance to this simplistic coat.
- Ankle Boots
It’s not officially fall until boots enter the scene. Ankle boots with a chunky heel are my favorite boots for the season. The chunky heel makes it comfortable to walk in and gives you a bit of height. They make an outfit look so sleek and pair so well with just about any bottom.
🍁 Shop Ankle Boots 🍁
- Pretty Little Thing: BLACK SQUARE TOE MID FLARE BLOCK HEELS ANKLE BOOTS – eaturing a black material with a square toe design and a flared mid-block heel.
- Woman Within: Spike Madison Ankle Bootie – With faux fur lining keeping toes warm, memory foam insoles to cushion your feet and easy pull on style- these edgy ankle booties are a wardrobe essential.
- maurices: Alexa Black Lug Ankle Boot – These pointed toe booties with a lug sole are so stylish.
- Marc Fisher: FREDY LUG SOLE BOOTIE – Featuring a lug sole, round toe and gore sides. This bootie will elevate any wardrobe.
- Over-The-Knee Boots
These boots work so well as a layering piece and really help elongate your legs. They can be worn over straight leg jeans for a simple layered look or paired with a mini skirt and black leggings. It immediately makes you look so chic!
🍁 Shop Over-The-Knee Boots 🍁
- Pretty Little Thing: BLACK PU OVER THE KNEE CHUNKY BOOTS – Featuring a black PU material with a chunky sole, over the knee fit and tie fastenings at the top.
- Woman Within: Kennedy Over The Knee Boot – Get a sleek, form-fitting look in this over-the-knee boot with incredible stretch.
- Kohl’s: Journee Collection Sana Women’s Over-The-Knee Boots – Flaunt a long-legged look in these Sana thigh-high boots from Journee Collection.
Sneakers are a year-round staple that also work great in the fall when your feet need a break from wearing boots. Whether it’s a chunky dad sneaker or a classic converse, sneakers add a sporty flair to any casual look.
🍁 Shop Sneakers 🍁
- Pretty Little Thing: WHITE BUBBLE SOLE LACE UP SNEAKERS – Featuring a white material with a bubble sole and a lace up design.
- Tory Burch: LADYBUG SNEAKER – This sneaker’s exaggerated sole is dotted with their T Monogram to mimic the beloved bug’s signature spots. Hand-stitching honors old-school craftsmanship.
- Woman Within: CV Sport Rylan Sneaker By Comfortview – The perfect weekend sneaker made for your active lifestyle.
Where Should I Shop For A Fall Capsule Wardrobe?
The key to building a good fall capsule wardrobe is to invest in quality pieces, if possible. Remember, it’s quality over quantity. You also want to shop in stores that carry a good selection of quality basics in neutral colors and classic prints.
If the majority of the shop’s inventory consists of low-quality, trendy items, it’s probably not a great place to shop for your fall capsule collection.
Here is a list of my favorite shops for fall capsule collection:
- Uniqlo – Great for quality basics at affordable prices. They carry tons of great basics for any occasion.
- COS – Great basics with modern silhouettes. I love how unique, but timeless their collection is.
- Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack – Good for designer clothing at low prices and they have good quality basics too.
- J. Crew – They have great outerwear, so make sure to check out their trench coat collection!
- Banana Republic – They have a wide variety of quality classics to choose from, which is great for any capsule collection.
Should You Buy Trends For Your Fall Capsule Collection?
Trends are hard to resist and really cute, but is it worth it? Not really. Trends come and go quickly, so it’s likely that the trendy pieces that you buy will rarely be worn.
They’re really fun to experiment with, but they tend to be very hard to coordinate in an outfit. It defeats the point of a versatile and timeless capsule collection.
Trends come and go quickly, so it’s likely that the trendy pieces that you buy will rarely be worn.
My advice is to stock up on the essentials that I mentioned above first. Then, sprinkle in a few trendy pieces sparingly. Make sure the trendy pieces that you purchase can still coordinate well with your existing fall capsule collection and are super versatile, so that you get the most wear out of them.
I hope my tips help you build your fall capsule wardrobe! Leave a comment below if you have a tip or favorite store that you would like to add.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
You May Also Like To Read:
- Minimalist Clothing: Ultimate Fashion Guide
- How To Look Expensive AF In 11 Tips & Tricks
- How to Find Your Style In 4 Steps: Tips & Tricks That Work!
- What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather – 6 Cute Everyday Outfits
- Best 8 Secondhand Stores Online & Shopping Tips