I hate to break it to you, but our sunny summer days are about to end. There’s still a few weeks to pull on those denim shorts and cute mini-dresses, but we’ll be reaching for knits before you know it.
It’s time to welcome a new wardrobe change for the upcoming fall season. This is the best time to start planning a fall capsule wardrobe!
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing that can be mixed and matched to create a wide variety of outfits. All the pieces in the collection complement each other, which makes outfit coordination a breeze!
The key to curating a capsule wardrobe is to only have the essential and classic pieces.
There isn’t a hard rule on exactly how many clothes should be in a capsule wardrobe. The general rule of thumb is between 25 to 50 pieces, but it really depends on your personal preference.
The key to curating a capsule wardrobe is to only have the essential and classic pieces. Also, invest in quality clothes, if you can. It’s better to have fewer quality clothing than a lot of cheap, low-quality clothes.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
What Are The Pros To A Capsule Wardrobe?
- More Money In Your Pocket
Clothes curated for a capsule wardrobe are purchased with meaning and intent. They’re not impulse buys of the latest cute trend. Therefore, you’re less likely to purchase items that just end up collecting dust at the back of your closet.
Also, a capsule wardrobe is planned in advance, so it leaves less room for unintended purchases. The key to curating a good fall capsule wardrobe is to shop for all the necessary pieces at the beginning of the season, so you’re not tempted to purchase more later.
- Effortless & Quick Outfits
A good capsule wardrobe also means that all your items will match each other well. Therefore, it should have a cohesive theme. If you only had 2 minutes to get dressed, would you be able to pull out a ready to wear outfit? A capsule wardrobe can help you get dressed in a moment’s notice.
- Timeless & Classic Styles
A versatile and long-lasting capsule wardrobe is filled with timeless and classic styles. Whether it’s for work, meetings, classy events, or a drink with friends, your capsule wardrobe has you covered. You will find yourself wearing these pieces for many years to come!
- A Basic White T-Shirt
This is an essential foundation piece for any casual outfit. A white t-shirt is seasonless and is almost guaranteed to work with any pair of bottoms. Make sure you invest in a good quality t-shirt because you will find yourself wearing it all year round.
🍁 Shop White T-Shirt 🍁
- Venus: Square Neck Top
- Venus: Twisted Knot Detail Tee
- Venus: White T-Shirt
- Show Me Your Mumu: Basic Cropped Tee
- ThredUp: Pol Short Sleeve T-Shirt
- Fitted Turtleneck
I love how slimming fitted turtlenecks can be and I can’t wait to wear them this fall myself. Turtlenecks have an elongating neckline, which gives the illusion that you are taller. You can also layer them underneath a button down or loose top. Purchase a black, grey, or white turtleneck for easy outfit coordination.
🍁 Shop Fitted Turtlenecks 🍁
- Macy’s: Ralph Lauren: Turtleneck Sweater
- Macy’s: Softwear with Stretch Turtleneck
- Macy’s: Karen Scott Mock-Neck Top
- Forever 21: Ribbed Turtleneck Long-Sleeve Top
- ThredUp: Cos Pullover Sweater
- White Button Down
A crisp, white button down is versatile, timeless, and seasonless. I don’t think it will ever go out of style. It works great in casual outfits and can make you look professional in an instant. In the fall, they work really well as layering pieces. You can layer a loose sweater, such as a sweater vest over a white button down for an instantly chic look.
🍁 Shop White Button Down 🍁
- Michael Kors: Cotton-Poplin Button-Down Shirt
- Forever 21: Chiffon Dolphin-Hem Shirt
- Verishop: Button Down Waffle Shirt
- Verishop: Classic Button Down Blouse
- Plaid Flannel Top
I normally don’t recommend prints for a capsule wardrobe, but I had to include plaid. Plaid is the signature print of fall and just thinking about it makes me feel so cozy inside. Like white button downs, they are great for layering under sweaters for a pop of pattern. They also coordinate well with casual outfits too!
🍁 Shop Plaid Flannel Top 🍁
- Etsy: Women’s Plaid Button Down Flannel Shirt Jacket Blouse
- Show Me Your Mumu: The Layer Shirt
- Verishop: Flannel Oversized Shirt
- Dickies: Women’s Flannel High Pile Fleece Lined Chore Coat
- NHL Shop: Women’s Vegas Golden Knights Concepts Sport Black Mainstay Flannel Full-Button Long Sleeve Nightshirt
- NHL Shop: Women’s Boston Bruins Concepts Sport Black Mainstay Flannel Full-Button Long Sleeve Nightshirt
- Long Sleeve Sweaters
I’m pretty excited to break out my sweater collection this season! There is nothing like a cozy sweater to complete a fall look. For a fall capsule wardrobe, I recommend shopping for neutral colors (think beige, white, black, or grey). To keep it interesting, purchase a few varying styles (think crewnecks, v-necks, turtlenecks or cropped hems).
I also recommend sprinkling a few sweaters with classic patterns, such as stripes and the fall appropriate plaid pattern. Just make sure to avoid loud patterns and prints, so that it fits in your fall capsule collection.
🍁 Shop Long Sleeve Sweaters 🍁
- Michael Kors: Wool and Cashmere Blend Sweater
- Tuckernuck: Wren Natalia Half Zip Sweater
- Noracora: Turtleneck Plain Casual Loose Sweater
- Forever 21: Ribbed Mock Neck Sweater
- Overstock: Levandi Women’s Wool Ski Sweater
- Sweater Vest
Sweater vests were trendy last year and it seems like it’s going strong this fall season too. I love the sleeveless look because it gives you layering options. I am particularly obsessed with the look of layering a neutral color sweater vest over a crisp white button down!
They are also perfect for in-between weather. You can layer it over thin shirts for some additional warmth without feeling too stuffy.
🍁 Shop Sweater Vests 🍁
- Michael Kors: Cable Cashmere Vest
- Macy’s: Karen Scott Women’s Cotton Cable-Knit Vest, Created for Macy’s
- maurices: Mock Neck Cable Knit Sweater Vest
- Neiman Marcus: Brochu Walker Nye Layered Sweater Vest
- Knit Dress
A body-hugging knit dress is the perfect piece to wear for events or occasions where you want to look more refined or classy. They can easily be dressed down for casual outfits too. Make sure you get a longer length (midi or maxi) for a classier look and warmth.
🍁 Shop Knit Dress 🍁
- Macy’s: MANGO Women’s Ribbed Knit Dress
- ThredUp: Malibu Skye Short Sleeve Top
- Macy’s: Ralph Lauren Women’s Cotton-Blend Turtleneck Dress
- Overstock: Von Ronen Women’s Elbow Sleeve Jersey Knit Fitted Dress
- NHL Shop: Women’s Washington Capitals Tommy Hilfiger Gray/Navy Sneaker Dress
Pants or trousers are super versatile and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. They are a year-round staple for me, especially in the fall. I highly recommend purchasing black, grey, or tan trousers for easy outfit coordination. I also love high-waisted and wide leg styles for their leg elongating effect.
For the fall, I love the look of faux leather pants. They immediately give your outfit an edgy look and it’s great for retaining warmth in colder weather.
🍁 Shop Pants 🍁
- Venus: Wide Leg Suiting Trouser Pants
- Hello Molly: LIONESS SOHO PANTS OLIVE
- Kohl’s: Lee® Wrinkle-Free Relaxed Fit Straight-Leg Pants
- Kohl’s: Simply Vera Vera Wang High Rise Faux Leather Shaping Leggings
- SGT Grit: BATTLE DRESS UNIFORM TACTICAL PANT
Denim jeans are also a year-round staple and go-to for casual looks. I like to keep timeless silhouettes in my wardrobe, so that it always stays fresh. Loose jeans and straight blue jeans have modern silhouettes that don’t seem to go out of style. I also recommend high-waisted jeans and experimenting with hems, such as cropped wide leg or flare jeans.
In terms of color, I recommend blue or cream jeans for maximum versatility. You really can’t go wrong with those colors.
🍁 Shop Jeans 🍁
- Venus: Bootcut Jeans
- Dickies: Perfect Shape Plus Straight Leg Stretch Denim Jeans,
- Dickies: Women’s Thomasville Jeans
- Dickies: Women’s Warming Denim Carpenter Jeans
Skirts are great fall capsule wardrobe essentials too. Long skirts can be paired with leather boots for the classic fall look. Also, mini skirts are great too if you pair them with over-the-knee boots and black leggings for an easy layered look (and warmth too!).
I recommend denim, pleated, or leather skirts for the fall season. I also think dark florals could be a great print for the fall season too.
🍁 Shop Skirts 🍁
- Tory Burch: MARLED RIB SKIRT
- DHgate: High Waisted Faux Leather Midi Pencil Skirt
- Macy’s: Anne Klein Women’s Pleated Pull-On Midi Skirt
- Black Leggings
Black leggings are an essential foundation piece for easy comfort and warmth. They are super easy to pair with ankle boots, sneakers, and blazers too. Look for interesting textures, such as quilted or faux leather textures for a unique twist to a typical black legging.
🍁 Shop Black Leggings 🍁
- Aeropostale: High-Rise Cozy Perfect Leggings – Your favorite leggings, updated with stretchy fleece fabric for extra comfort and warmth during the colder months.
- Woman Within: Ankle-Length Essential Stretch Legging
- Light In The Box: Fleece Tights – Leggings that have tummy control. butt light, and cozy fleece? Sign me up!
- JustFashionNow: Velvet Leggings in Black
- Venus: Basic Leggings
Jackets are great layering pieces and add an extra layer of warmth. For casual outfits, I love layering on a denim jacket. If I want to add a touch of edginess to an outfit, I like adding on a faux leather jacket too.
🍁 Shop Jackets 🍁
- Woman Within: Fleece-Lined Taslon® Anorak – A soft, removable fleece lining combined with water resistant fabric makes this anorak ideal for fighting the elements.
- Dickies: DuraTech Renegade Insulated Jacket
- Dickies: Duck Hooded Shirt Jacket
- SGT Grit: EGA CANVAS HOODED JACKET
- SGT Grit: EGA HOODED SHELL JACKET
- Forever 21: Faux Shearling Buffalo Plaid Jacket
- Show Me Your Mumu: Melrose Sweater Jacket
Cardigans add a lightweight layer and to throw on in case it gets chilly indoors. Cropped cardigans look great with high waisted pants or dresses. Make sure you get neutral colors, such white, grey, beige, and black for super easy outfit coordination.
🍁 Shop Cardigans 🍁
- Woman Within: Long-Sleeve Shaker Cardigan Sweater
- Princess Polly: BURKE CARDIGAN CREAM
- Woman Within: Open Front Waffle Cardigan
- Woman Within: Open Front Pointelle Cardigan
- DHGate: Women’s Sweater V-neck luxury cardigan
- NFL Shop: Philadelphia Eagles WEAR by Erin Andrews Cream Cozy Lounge Cardigan Sweater – Cheer on the Philadelphia Eagles in comfort with this Cozy Lounge cardigan from WEAR by Erin Andrews.
Get a blazer if you don’t own one yet! They can instantly make an outfit look smart or can be dressed down for more casual looks. For instance, you can style a blazer with a t-shirt and jeans. In addition, slouchy blazers look great with a slip dress. Blazers are seasonless and timeless, so you’ll find yourself wearing them year-round.
🍁 Shop Blazers 🍁
- Woman Within: Bi-Stretch Blazer
- Kohl’s: Women’s Nine West Relaxed Blazer
- Theory: Carissa Blazer in Good Wool
- Venus: Houndstooth Double Breasted Blazer
- Trench Coat
A trench coat is an essential outerwear for a fall capsule wardrobe. It’s the perfect transitional fall outerwear. It’s not as thick as a wool coat, but it provides just enough warmth for chilly weather. Make sure you get a long beige trench coat for that classy, timeless look.
🍁 Shop Trench Coat 🍁
- Woman Within: Double Breasted Long Trench Coat
- Belk: Women’s Cotton Blend Trench Coat
- Pretty Little Thing: CAMEL FAUX LEATHER DROP ARM MIDI TRENCH – Featuring a camel faux leather material with a drop arm design and midi length.
- Macy’s: Women’s Double-Breasted Belted Trench Coat
- Lulus: Gwyneth Tan Tie-Back Trench Coat
- Macy’s: Cole Haan Women’s Double-Breasted Belted Trench Coat
- Ankle Boots
It’s not officially fall until boots enter the scene. Ankle boots with a chunky heel are my favorite boots for the season. The chunky heel makes it comfortable to walk in and gives you a bit of height. They make an outfit look so sleek and pair so well with just about any bottom.
🍁 Shop Ankle Boots 🍁
- Maurices: Alexa Brown Lug Ankle Boot
- Skechers: Dome – Fall For You
- Skechers: Pier-Lite – Natural Charm
- Skechers: Work: Workshire – Jannit Comp Toe
- Show Me Your Mumu – Matisse Caty Bootie
- Over-The-Knee Boots
These boots work so well as a layering piece and really help elongate your legs. They can be worn over straight leg jeans for a simple layered look or paired with a mini skirt and black leggings. It immediately makes you look so chic!
🍁 Shop Over-The-Knee Boots 🍁
- JC Penny: Journee Collection Womens Kaison Stacked Heel Dress Boots
- JC Penny: Worthington Womens Philomena Stacked Heel Over the Knee Boots
- JC Penny: Unisa Womens Unquesiay Block Heel Over the Knee Boots
Sneakers are a year-round staple that also work great in the fall when your feet need a break from wearing boots. Whether it’s a chunky dad sneaker or a classic converse, sneakers add a sporty flair to any casual look.
🍁 Shop Sneakers 🍁
- Skechers: Skech-Lite Pro
- Skechers: Skech-Air Element 2.0 – Daring Damsel
- Skechers: D’lites – Fresh Start
- JCPenny: Reebok Club Memt Bold 2 Womens Sneakers
Where Should I Shop For A Fall Capsule Wardrobe?
The key to building a good fall capsule wardrobe is to invest in quality pieces, if possible. Remember, it’s quality over quantity. You also want to shop in stores that carry a good selection of quality basics in neutral colors and classic prints.
If the majority of the shop’s inventory consists of low-quality, trendy items, it’s probably not a great place to shop for your fall capsule collection.
Here is a list of my favorite shops for fall capsule collection:
- Uniqlo – Great for quality basics at affordable prices. They carry tons of great basics for any occasion.
- COS – Great basics with modern silhouettes. I love how unique, but timeless their collection is.
- Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack – Good for designer clothing at low prices and they have good quality basics too.
- J. Crew – They have great outerwear, so make sure to check out their trench coat collection!
- Banana Republic – They have a wide variety of quality classics to choose from, which is great for any capsule collection.
Should You Buy Trends For Your Fall Capsule Collection?
Trends are hard to resist and really cute, but is it worth it? Not really. Trends come and go quickly, so it’s likely that the trendy pieces that you buy will rarely be worn.
They’re really fun to experiment with, but they tend to be very hard to coordinate in an outfit. It defeats the point of a versatile and timeless capsule collection.
Trends come and go quickly, so it’s likely that the trendy pieces that you buy will rarely be worn.
My advice is to stock up on the essentials that I mentioned above first. Then, sprinkle in a few trendy pieces sparingly. Make sure the trendy pieces that you purchase can still coordinate well with your existing fall capsule collection and are super versatile, so that you get the most wear out of them.
I hope my tips help you build your fall capsule wardrobe! Leave a comment below if you have a tip or favorite store that you would like to add.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
You May Also Like To Read:
- Minimalist Clothing: Ultimate Fashion Guide
- How To Look Expensive AF In 11 Tips & Tricks
- How to Find Your Style In 4 Steps: Tips & Tricks That Work!
- What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather – 6 Cute Everyday Outfits
- Best 8 Secondhand Stores Online & Shopping Tips
- Which Wrist to Wear A Watch (Female): Styling Tips You NEED!
- H&M Like Stores: The Next Fashion Fix For Fresh Fashion Ideas
- 38 Best SHEIN Finds That You’ll Want To Buy Right Now + Ultimate Shopping Guide