Gen Z on TikTok has declared it: Skinny jeans are out! Isn’t that a bit harsh?
I remember growing up with skinny jeans as the “it” jeans that celebrities like Kate Moss and Sienna Miller rocked.
It was all about squeezing into the super-skinny fit and body-hugging jeans that show off your curves.
These tight-fitting bottoms were *sometimes* a struggle to pull on. They felt a bit restrictive, but it was absolutely worth it. I mean, check out those curves!
However, it’s time to put your go-to skinnies aside. Now, it’s all about the loose-fit and baggy jeans silhouettes.
Don’t get me wrong–I’m not telling you to throw away your skinny jeans! After all, trends are cyclical and will eventually emerge back in trend.
If you’re still hesitant to switch to the new jeans trend, I’ve got you covered. Keep reading to find out what to wear instead of skinny jeans that are still trendy.
Pin the image below so that you can reference this later too!
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
What Is Replacing The Skinny Jean? 8 Jeans Trends You Need To Shop Right Now!
- Baggy & Loose Jeans
2020 was the year of relaxed styles as more people began to work from home. Comfort was prioritized above all and we can see how that has influenced the shift from tight skinny jeans to looser fits.
Jeans that are pleated at the waist or cinched in with a belt all fall within the relaxed silhouette too.
If you’re still struggling to figure out what to wear instead of skinny jeans, baggy or loose jeans are the way to go!
Here’s some of the popular loose or baggy jeans:
- Wide Leg Jeans – Wide leg jeans are wider at the knee and leg opening. They have a slightly more relaxed fit throughout the legs.
- Bootcut Jeans – Bootcut jeans are slimming from the hips to the thighs and have a slight flare from the knees to the ankles. They are narrow at the knees in comparison to the leg opening.
- Mom Jeans – Popularized by moms in the 80s and 90s, these jeans are typically high-waisted, loose around the thighs, and have a tapered leg. They generally have more shape in comparison to boyfriend jeans.
- Boyfriend Jeans – These jeans are inspired by men’s jeans and are generally baggier overall, particularly in the crotch and leg area.
- Upcycled & Refurbished Jeans
The upsurge in environmental awareness is leading the trend of circular and sustainable fashion. These upcycled trends include patch up vintage jeans and deadstock denim.
The contrasting fabric, textures, and patterns truly make the jeans feel unique. Plus, it’s another bold way to express individuality.
- Light Jeans
Light, neutral tone jeans are especially popular these days. These colors range from white, vintage white, to a light tan color.
This simple color palette makes it easy to create a monochrome or tonal look with matching pieces. It’s perfect for the minimalistic aesthetic. Light jeans will easily become a staple in your closet!
Light jeans in a looser silhouette, like mom jeans, are a great option if you’re still wondering what to wear instead of skinny jeans.
- Straight Leg Jeans
The straight leg jean is the comfortable alternative to a skinny jean and it has a classic cut that never seems to go out of style. Straight leg jeans offer more room around the legs, while also highlighting your curves. It’s an incredibly practical daily closet essential.
- Tapered Leg Jeans
If you still crave the shape of skinny jeans, you’ll be happy to know that jeans with tapered legs are still “in.” Tapered leg jeans gradually narrow down to the ankles–creating an inverted shape that’s looser at the top, but still maintains a clean look with the altered leg opening. It has the similar figure-flattering shape of skinny jeans without the skin tight feel.
- Flared Jeans Nostalgia
The nostalgia for 90s fashion trends, such as the Y2K fashion style, brought back some oldies, but goodies. Flared jeans are one of them. These jeans have an exaggerated flare that is much wider than bootcut jeans. They can be incredibly fun to style and look great with platforms.
- Cut-Out Details
Swap out your typical ripped jeans for cut-out details instead. It’s a fun and unique way to expose some skin. Cut-out details look great with a crop top or bodysuit in a contrasting color.
Look for unique details like cut-out pockets in you jeans if you’re struggling to figure out what to wear instead of skinny jeans.
- Asymmetric Buttons
Add a unique spin to your typical jeans with asymmetric buttons. The criss-cross style creates a V-shape at your waist, which helps make your waist appear slimmer. Nothing like a cool detail that gives more shape to the body!
Are Skinny Jeans Really Out Of Style In 2022?
2020 was tough for a lot of people and many of us had to spend most of it at home. While we see the light at the end of the tunnel in 2021, a lot of our fashion now is influenced by the relaxed, comfy loungewear we spent all day in.
In particular, Gen-Z on TikTok declared skinny jeans as dead or “cheugy” as they like to say. Instead, loose and baggy jeans are trending now. Most people like to point out that Gen-Z on social media really led this movement.
However, if you pay attention to the recent fashion from runways and designers, you’ll notice that skinny jeans were barely used. This was almost an inevitable change in the fashion world.
Like most fashion trends, this might be another cyclical trend that may become dormant someday, so don’t be bummed out about skinny jeans. It’ll eventually return back in style over time!
5 Skinny Jeans Trends To Purchase Instead
Although some may proclaim that skinny jeans are out, that doesn’t mean you can’t wear them.
Even though loose and baggy jeans are trending, there’s still a strong fan base for skinny jeans that isn’t going anywhere!
If you pay close attention to the fashion world, there are skinny jeans trends within the slim-fitting denim category.
Here are 5 updated skinny jeans trends that you can wear this year:
- The Slim-Straight Fit – The slim-straight jeans fit is a hybrid of skinny jeans and straight jeans. They generally have a straight leg fit, taper closely to the ankles, and have a slimmer fit overall. This is a great option for those that don’t want to go all out baggy with their jeans.
- Blue Is Back – Lighter jean washes were favored over the past few fashion seasons. However, the classic blue jean still has a strong game! The classic blue wash is a timeless color and I’m so glad that it’s trending.
- Slit-Hem – A great way to freshen up a pair of skinny jeans is to have a slit hem. This unique detail makes it so modern and cool.
- Cropped Hems – I’m starting to see more fashion girls sport a slightly cropped hem to show off pretty loafers and flats. This is the perfect length to show off some cute shoes.
- Bunching At The Ankles – Ok, this is more of a styling trick that I’ve noticed the fashion world embraces recently. Let your jeans bunch up slightly at the ankles. If you’re wearing boots, tuck in your jeans, but leave some bunching–no need to be perfect!
FAQs On Styling Jeans
Who Shouldn’t Wear Skinny Jeans?
While skinny jeans are slimming and help elongate the legs, they have the potential to cause some health problems for certain people.
In particular, men have a higher risk of having health complications from wearing these tight-fitting pants.
Here’s the top main health concerns when men wear skinny jeans:
- Wearing overly tight pants for a long time can cause urinary tract infections, which can lead to bladder weakness, fungal infections, and low sperm count.
- It’s restrictive to the groin area and can lead to twisted testicles.
Should I Get Rid Of My Skinny Jeans?
Skinny jeans might not be the trendiest jeans out there right now, but that doesn’t mean you should get rid of them!
Skinny jeans are flattering on all body types, slimming, and helps elongate the legs. They look great tucked into ankle boots and pair incredibly well with casual tops.
Fashion trends are cyclical, so there’s a high chance that skinny jeans will regain their spotlight soon.
What Is Tight Pants Syndrome?
Tight pants syndrome, also known as meralgia paresthetica, is a medical condition that causes numbness down the thighs.
Skinny jeans and tight-fitting clothes that restrict the legs can cause the thigh pants syndrome.
Restrictive clothing such as jeans or Spanx, can disrupt the sensory nerve that comes from your pelvis, which relays sensation to the thighs. This will make the thigh fall asleep frequently.
If the sensory nerve is continually disrupted, this can lead to long-lasting damage. Also, restrictive clothing that puts pressure on the abdomen will make it harder to digest food.
Do Skinny Jeans Look Good On Big Thighs?
Yes, skinny jeans can look good on body types with big thighs–it’s all about creating the right proportions and balance.
Skinny jeans hug the thighs and create distinct lines from the waist down. It highlights bigger thighs due to the wider hip area and thighs in contrast to the narrow ankles.
Since the attention is naturally drawn to the bigger thighs in skinny jeans, the goal is to bring back the attention to your upper body.
For instance, pair dark jeans with a lighter or brighter top. Tops with patterns or details like ruffles can help bring the attention upwards.
Choose skinny jeans that are classic and timeless. A nice dark wash jeans with no embellishments would act as the perfect base to any outfit.
What Do You Wear Instead Of Jeans?
Loose and baggy jeans might be the latest fashion trend, but we can’t always wear jeans 24/7. Sometimes we need variety too!
Here’s a few alternatives to jeans that look just as chic too:
- Trousers or Pants – These bottoms can be dressed up or down! Put on a white button down shirt for an office appropriate look or switch it out for a halter top for nights out.
- Culottes – Culottes have a dress-like silhouette without the dress. They are typically cropped higher and have a wide, flared out bottom hem. It’s classy and easy to wear for almost any occasion!
- Capris – If you love cropped bottoms, you’ll love capris! Capris are typically more form fitting and end just above the ankles.
- Leggings – Leggings are so comfortable! If you’re going to wear leggings as pants, I would highly suggest getting opaque leggings and avoiding thin or sheer ones. Leggings are body hugging and highlight all your curves too.
- Joggers – Trade in your baggy sweatpants for joggers. They help highlight your curves and fit perfectly with the athleisure aesthetic!
How Do I Pair Shoes With Non-Skinny Jeans?
Baggy and loose jeans create a different lower body silhouette, so it might appear difficult to style with shoes.
However, it’s not as challenging as you think because just about any footwear will still work with non-skinny jeans. It’s all about proportions.
Make sure that your loose-fitting jeans are still fitted around the butt and waist area for a more flattering look.
If you still need inspiration, here’s some shoes that pair really well with non-skinny jeans:
- Chunky Sneakers – The key to wearing sneakers with non-skinny jeans is to opt for sneakers with a chunky sole. The added height from the chunky soles prevents the shoe from being overwhelmed by the baggy jeans.
- Chunky Boots – Lug-soled boots work especially well with loose fitting jeans. Plus, there’s no need to tuck them in.
- Heeled Loafers – While loafers can look out-of-date with skinny jeans, they look incredibly cool with loose jeans. Make sure to get loafers with a heel to elevate the look.
- Knee High Boots – Who says you can’t tuck your loose jeans into knee-high boots? Embrace the baggy tuck because that’s in right now.
- Stiletto Boots – If you’re looking for a dressy heel, boots with stiletto heels are the way to go. Go the extra mile with a pointed-toe or square-toe for extra points.
- Clogs – The signature round toe shape and the way loose jeans fall over clogs is a surprisingly good combination. To elevate the look, get a pair of clogs with a heel.
- Embellished & Bright Shoes – I love the contrast of pairing bold statement shoes with loose jeans. It’s such a cool, streetwear vibe that I’m excited to try out myself.
At What Age Should You Stop Wearing Skinny Jeans?
There seems to be a fashion myth circulating that it’s not ok to wear skinny jeans when you get older. Particularly, those over 40 seem to question skinny jeans even more.
However, I’m here to tell you that there isn’t an age limit to skinny jeans. Whether you’re 50, 60, or older, it shouldn’t matter.
The truth is, it’s all about the fit of the skinny jeans. There are various skinny jeans styles out there. The key is to find the style that fits your evolving body shape.
When shopping for skinny jeans, pay close attention to the rise length, which is the distance from the crotch seam to the top of the waistband. The distance is crucial because it influences where your waistline will be.
Skinny jeans can also help you look leaner–not skinny. If you’re uncomfortable with a skin-tight look, opt for slim-straight skinny jeans instead. They generally have a straight leg and slimmer fit overall–without the skin tight look..
Is It OK To Wear The Same Jeans Everyday?
Jeans typically go well with just about any casual outfit, so it’s incredibly tempting to wear them over and over again–especially if they make you look and feel good.
Turns out it’s actually OK to re-wear the same jeans for a minimum of 5-6 times before throwing them in the wash. Unless you spilled something on them or they’re badly stained, it’s fine to wear them the next day.
In fact, experts say that it’s better to wash your jeans less frequently to help maintain its color and fabric quality.
Here’s a few handy ways to clean, deodorize, and disinfect your jeans in-between washes:
- Freezer Trick – Roll up your jeans into a clean, resealable food storage bag and leave it in the freezer for a few hours. This will help get rid of bacteria and odors.
- Vinegar + Cold Water Bath – Mix one cup of white vinegar in cold water. The vinegar helps lock in the color of your jeans. Finally, just hang them up to dry. Voilà, clean jeans!
- Steam – Next time you take a hot shower, hang up your jeans nearby. The steam will help freshen up your jeans. You can also try this with a handheld steamer too.
I hope this inspires you to try out some of the latest jeans trends. What jeans styles do you want to try out? Let me know!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
You May Also Like To Read:
- Best YesStyle Clothes : Bestsellers & Top Brands + Outfit Ideas You Can’t Miss Out On!
- What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather – 6 Cute Everyday Outfits
- Best Thigh High Boots At Every Price Point, Plus Outfit Ideas!
- How To Wear A Denim Jacket With Jeans | 5 Rules To Follow
- What To Wear On A First Date For Drinks? Let Me Inspire You!
- How To Look Expensive AF In 11 Tips & Tricks
- How Many Clothes Should A Woman Have In Her Wardrobe? Tips!
- 9 French Tuck Techniques To Help You Look Chic In Everything You Wear!