Fashion month just ended, the season’s new trends start rolling in, and that urge to suddenly re-vamp your wardrobe starts to crawl back up!
Before you know it, you have 10 browser windows open and 3 carts waiting for check-out.
Suddenly, your bank account barges in to interrupt and you are forced to ask the question:
How many clothes should a woman have in her wardrobe?
Well, babe, that truly depends on a variety of factors: personal style, lifestyle, interests, and of course – budget.
Let’s dive into it!
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
In This Post ➜
- How Many Pieces of Clothing Does the Average Woman Own?
- How Many Clothes Are Too Many?
- How Many Clothes Do I Need?
How Many Pieces Of Clothing Does the Average Woman Own?
Back in 2016 – ClosetMaid did a survey of 1000 American women in which the average amount of clothing in their closet was 103 pieces.
Fast forward to 2020, Capsule Wardrobe Data did a similar survey in which only one person responded – the answer was 132 items.
What does this mean? Well, for starters, there aren’t that many people willing to count the amount of clothing that they own.
Which probably means women probably do not own that many clothes in their wardrobe. Keep in mind that this survey was taken during the height of the pandemic, so many people didn’t have to go out as much either.
However, don’t get stuck on statistics. Factors, such as lifestyle, interest, and budget will highly affect how many clothes you own.
How Many Clothes Are Too Many?
According to the GlobalData Consumer Resale Survey, consumers regularly wear about half of their closets.
So, if we are going by numbers and the average person owns anywhere from 103 to 132 items, that means they own 51.5 – 66 items above average.
If we are going by opinion, any piece of clothing you do not wear is a piece too many. Clothes that are barely worn are just taking up closet space.
The smart way to curate a wardrobe that you’re happy with is to invest in high-quality basics and pieces that you know will coordinate well with each other.
It isn’t really about how many clothes should a woman have in her wardrobe, but rather do you like and actually wear the clothes you have.
I highly recommend checking out quality minimalist clothing stores to stock up on basics first. Then, work on creating a capsule wardrobe that fits your needs.
Checklist: How Many Clothes Do I Need?
Not sure how many clothes should a woman have in her wardrobe? Remember that it depends on personal style, lifestyle, interests, and of course – budget.
I’ll give you a general guideline to follow, but I highly encourage you to take a deeper look at what you need and adjust accordingly.
Let’s cover ways to determine how many clothes you need for all seasons and occasions!
✅ 1. How Many Jeans Should A Woman Own?
Jeans are a staple in any wardrobe. They are probably your go-to for days off or running errands.
As a general unspoken rule, you should have at least 3 pairs of jeans in your closet. The reasoning behind this is that 3 different pairs should give you the foundation to create plenty of outfits.
Classic blue denim jeans go with everything. A white pair of jeans that are perfect for hot days and brunch dates. Finally, a dark wash pair of jeans that you can dress up or down for a night out or those cold winter months.
These can all be different styles or just different colors of your go-to outfit – it is up to you!
✅ 2. How Many Bras Should A Woman Own?
Again, this is up to you and depends on the bra–is it a day-to-day, a special occasion, or a workout bra? Let’s break it down.
I like to have 5 everyday bras. Up next, we have cute special occasion bras – I own 2.
Now, the workout bras are up to your routine since they need to be washed after every use. I have four for every workout day.
This is a total of 11 different bras, and you can apply this to underwear too!
Again, this is just a guideline, but not meant to be followed strictly. Adjust it according to your lifestyle!
✅ 3. How Many Pairs of Pants Should A Woman Own?
The amount of pants a woman owns depends on her style and how often she wears them.
Personally, I like to have at least 3 different neutral-toned pants. I also like to vary the fits and styles.
Instead of thinking “how many clothes should a woman have in her wardrobe?,” focus on building a wardrobe filled with versatile and unique pieces.
For instance, I have a pair of tan straight-leg pants, brown wide-leg pants, and black cropped pants.
I would also recommend at least having one pair of black or navy dress pants for when any professional occasion arises.
✅ 4. How Many T-Shirts Do I Need?
Whether you use them for sleeping, traveling, working out, or just lounging around, t-shirts are always a great staple.
I’d say around 8 t-shirts are the way to go, but this depends on what you use them for. I always think about how versatile each t-shirt can be before I add it to my wardrobe.
If you need a rubric, try this: 2 t-shirts for sleeping, 4 for working out or lounging around, and two as everyday basics.
✅ 5. How Many Pajamas Should A Woman Own?
Pajamas are some of my favorite wardrobe pieces because they are just so comfortable! Plus, a quality pair of pajamas will ensure a good night’s rest.
But again, some people opt for comfy, oversized pants and T-shirts. Others like to have pajama sets.
If you’re unsure, aim for 3 pajama sets (mixed or matched) and a robe if you want to be extra. This will give you enough to wear in-between washes and to play around with.
✅ 6. How Many Pairs Of Shoes Should A Woman Have?
The very basic number of shoes adds up to 6 pairs. These are:
- Workout shoes – A good pair of sneakers to bring with you to the gym or for long walks outside. I highly recommend getting at least one pair of white sneakers. They match with everything!
- Comfortable flats – Flats are great for casual or business casual outfits too. They’re also a lifesaver when your feet hurt too much from walking in heels.
- Sandals – A cute pair of sandals are essential for spring and summer outfits! They bring a laidback and boho vibe to any outfit.
- Heels – Heels can immediately dress up an outfit. They look great with dresses, skirts, and even jeans.
- Statement shoes – Get a pair of shoes that really speak to your personality! Maybe it’s bold and daring or vibrant and colorful. A cute pair of shoes can transform a dull outfit.
✅ 7. How Many Dresses Should I Own?
If you are a dress girlie, this number will probably go up, but I would suggest three dresses. One for day events, usually a midi or mini dress that is neutral or soft colors.
A more professional dress for any work or night event (dark colors are great). A maxi dress for weddings or special events.
Again, don’t focus on “how many clothes should a woman have in her wardrobe?.” Try to vary the styles, fits, and colors of each dress so that it gives you more variety.
Feel free to add a few more depending on your preferences. I know I love dining alfresco in a cute dress during the summer, so I like to have a few more on hand!
How Many Outfits Should I Have For Work?
Having enough outfits for work can be tricky, especially if you do not like to have repeat outfits. The number of outfits you need as a young professional will depend on how many days of the week you go to work, your job type, and the dress code.
Most of the time, a work wardrobe is made up of appropriate basics and work essentials that can be mixed and matched for the perfect capsule wardrobe.
While these items should be within the dress code, they should also represent your personal style. A great rule of thumb is to start with two weeks’ worth of outfits.
This is anywhere from 6 outfits if you work 3 days a week to 10 if you work 5 days a week.
Remember, mix and matching will be your best friend. Here is a suggestion list to get you started:
- 8 nice blouses or button-down shirts (one for each day of the week and an extra one to leave at your workplace for emergencies)
- 3 pairs of pants (black, blue, gray, khaki, or dark green)
- 3 cover-ups (2 neutral blazers and a cardigan)
- 1 dress or skirt
- 2 pairs of comfortable shoes (heels and flats)
Most importantly, don’t focus on the question: “How many clothes should a woman have in her wardrobe?” Focus on you workplace dress code and see what other in the office are wearing for inspiration too!
What Is The Least Amount Of Clothes You Need?
Suppose you want to own the least amount of clothes. If you do not mind wearing the same thing every day – you can have as little as one outfit.
The best way to have the least amount of clothes and focus on what you need is by creating a capsule wardrobe for all your needs.
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing that can be mixed and matched to create a wide variety of outfits. All the pieces in the collection complement each other, which makes outfit coordination a breeze!
It’s a great way to minimize your closet to only the key pieces you’ll need. You’ll save tons of time dressing in the morning! Not to mention, it’s budget-friendly too.
Check out my spring, winter, and fall capsule wardrobe guides for inspiration!
When Should You Get Rid Of Clothes?
There are three reasons why you should get rid of clothes:
- They are unwearable (damaged)
- They do not fit you
- You are making space for new pieces
If you find clothing that fits one of the reasons above, it’s time to get rid of them!
Regardless of the reason, please consider donating or recycling when appropriate. It’s a great way to help extend the life of gently used clothing and reduce waste.
Moreover, don’t get rid of clothes simply because of that fact that the question “how many clothes should a woman have in her wardrobe?” made you feel guilty about the amount of clothes you have.
Think about how each clothing piece serves you and whether it makes you “happy.” More tips on how to get rid of clothes you don’t need below.
Tips To Help You Get Rid Of Clothes You Don’t Need
The GlobalData Consumer Resale Survey states that nearly half of consumers clean out their closet at least several times a year.
Whether it is to change their personal style, give back to their community, or just downsize, here are some things to consider when getting rid of clothes you don’t need:
- Start by creating piles: Create 4 piles–donate, throw away, keep, and maybe. For the maybe pile, I like to keep it in a box in my closet. If I have not looked for it before my next clean out – it becomes part of the donate or throw away pile.
- Separate the “keep” pile. That’s right. You know the items you use on rotation constantly. Those are staying put, so make sure you organize those first. It will make it easier to find the ones you do not need.
- Is it still wearable? This doesn’t mean the item is not “in style.” It means it is either severely stained, broken, pilling or ripped. If so, it is time to say good-bye! See if it can’t be donated or recycled before tossing it in the trash.
- Does it fit? Yes, it is time to let go of your high school jeans or that top that doesn’t fit right anymore and make space for pieces that make you feel comfortable.
- Have you worn this item more than once in the past year? You know what piece I am talking about… If you have not gone out of your way to wear it… it’s probably not something you feel like yourself in. Thrift or donate it!
How Do I Maintain My Wardrobe?
Being able to always have something to wear that makes you feel like yourself takes some work. Don’t fret.
Here are some tips on how to maintain your wardrobe:
- Make sure to clean-out items you do not like or are no longer wearable.
- Take care of your pieces – make sure you read the care instructions.
- Organize your closet – this makes your pieces easier to find and style
I hope this article has helped you answer the age-old question of how many clothes should a woman have in her wardrobe? There are many factors to consider, and the answer depends on YOU.
If there is one thing you should genuinely take from this article is that no one needs hundreds of pieces of clothing. Your personal style is going to be unique regardless of how many pieces you own because you chose each piece.
Whether you decide to have 10 items in your wardrobe or 200 – always consider the best way you can impact the environment and your community.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
You May Also Like To Read:
- How to Find Your Style In 4 Steps: Tips & Tricks That Work!
- How To Look Expensive Naturally In 11 Easy Tips & Tricks + What To Avoid
- 7 Timeless Style Fashion Tips That Will Help You Be A Classy Woman
- How To Dress For Your Body Type & Flatter Your Figure
- Model Off-Duty Look Essentials & Tips To Get The Aesthetic!
- Best Thigh High Boots At Every Price Point, Plus Outfit Ideas!
- What To Wear On A First Date For Drinks? Let Me Inspire You!
- Easy Y2K Outfits: 8 Outfits + Everything You NEED To Know!
What do you think?