You might have noticed that joggers are the new trend in activewear and it’s increasing with popularity. These pants are riding on the athleisure fashion trend.
Jogger pants have cuffed ankles, which is excellent for showing off your shoes. Be careful in how you dress them, though. It can make you look chic in a casual outfit. However, they can also make you look sloppy when worn the wrong way.
With so many new jogger styles to choose from, it’s crucial to know the right kind of shoes to wear with joggers.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
What Are Jogger Pants?
Jogger pants were created for exercise, but they have evolved into a versatile piece that can be worn for a variety of occasions. These pants have a sporty appearance and are made with comfortable, lightweight materials.
The structure and form of jogger pants are distinct. They are typically widest at the top and taper down the leg. It also features elasticated, cuffed ankles at the bottom.
They’re a little loose, but still form-fitting enough to show off natural body curves. Today, they even come in a variety of styles that look more tailored and refined.
Different Types Of Joggers
Jogger pants’ recent surge of popularity has led designers to experiment with its styles and shapes. There are currently four main types of jogger pants:
- Everyday Joggers
- Sporty Joggers
- Smart Joggers
- Lounge Joggers
Keep reading to find out what shoes to wear for each type of jogger pants!
An everyday jogger is exactly how the name describes it. They are the perfect option for everyday comfort and style.
Everyday joggers are great for running errands throughout the day, casual brunches with friends, or staying cozy and comfortable on long flights.
Its style and comfort make it the ideal option for any casual event. They’re adaptable and functional. That’s why this type of style is so trendy in athleisure fashion.
Best Shoes To Wear With Everyday Joggers
- Boots – If you’re looking to add an edgy vibe to your outfit, a pair of black chunky heel boots or faux-leather boots will do the trick. Also, chunky heels are more comfortable to walk in.
- Platform sneaker – A pair of platform sneakers completes a classic t-shirt and jogger look.
- Ankle-strap sandals – Elevate your look with a pair of heeled ankle-strap sandals to help elongate the legs. Get one with a chunky heel for better support and comfort.
Tops For Everyday Joggers
Wear a cute t-shirt or blouse to pair with your everyday joggers. Here are a few options:
The original jogger was made for athletic performance back in the 1920s. Today, it still serves the same purpose, but its construction and look has been updated.
Sporty joggers now have a slimmer silhouette that flatters the body’s natural curves. It also helps support rapid and wide movements for a hard workout.
Joggers made for athletic performance are constructed with fabrics that are moisture-wicking, odor resistant, and breathable.
Best Shoes To Wear With Sporty Joggers
There’s a variety of athletic shoes that vary in the design, material, and weight. If you are involved in a specific sport regularly, it’s recommended that you get sneakers that are sports specific.
Here are a few common athletic sneaker types:
- Walking shoes – These sneakers provide good shock absorption, stability through the arch, and a smooth tread. This is a good option for everyday errands and walks outside.
- Running shoes – Running shoes are designed for forward motion and protect the heel and front of the foot. If you’re going out for a jog in your joggers, make sure you wear this type of shoe.
- Court sport shoes – These shoes are made for tennis, basketball and volleyball. They are made to support forward, backward, and side-to-side motion.
- Field sport shoes – These sneakers are outfitted with studs, cleats, or spikes that are removable. They are designed for sports, such as soccer, football, and baseball.
Tops For Sporty Joggers
Wear a sport top that provides features, such as moisture-wicking and odor resistance. Here are a few options:
I despise wearing “real” pants every time an occasion calls for something more formal. Let me introduce you to smart joggers! Smart joggers are constructed with more tailoring and made with different materials.
They typically have more tapered and tailored legs, which also helps create a flattering silhouette. Smart joggers are made of fine-gauge cotton or a comparable fabric that bunches at the knees to produce a rumpled look that sweatpants are recognized for.
These pants can be worn to work with a business-casual dress code. Feel free to throw on a pair of smart joggers for dinners, casual business meetings, or parties in style and comfort.
Best Shoes To Wear With Smart Joggers
- Pumps – A pair of classic nude pumps is a staple for dressy looks. It will instantly sharpen your look. Get a pair of pointed-toe pumps to elongate the legs even further.
- Flats – If heels are not your style, flats are a great alternative! They look amazing with smart joggers and can be dressed up or down.
- Loafers – Loafers are another alternative to heels. They are slip-on shoes with a low, flat heel. Like ballet flats, loafers can easily be dressed up or down.
Tops For Smart Joggers
Wear a white-button down or a blouse for a more refined and dressy look. Here are a few options:
Lounge joggers are perfect for lounging and hanging out casually. If you’re looking for a pair of pants to binge watch Netflix with friends, then lounge joggers are for you.
These jogger pants have a more relaxed fit and looser cut. It is typically made of fabric that is made for comfort rather than sport performance, such as terry cloth or fleece.
The loose cut makes it super comfy to lounge around in or run a quick errand. It’s more stylish than a baggy pair of sweatpants and just as comfortable too.
Fleece joggers keep you cozy and comfortable beyond winter. This Varsity Lightweight Jogger is semi-fitted to show off your curves and roomy enough to move freely. It also features side-pockets to store essentials and a drawstring to adjust the fit.
Best Shoes To Wear With Lounge Joggers
- White sneakers
A pair of crisp, white sneakers will coordinate well with any color jogger pants and they’re incredibly comfy to walk in.
- Flip-flops or flat sandals – These shoes are the ultimate casual footwear. Pair your joggers with a pair of cool flip-flops for comfort and style.
Tops For Lounge Joggers
Wear a cute sweatshirt or a fitted crewneck t-shirt for a laidback, casual look. Here are a few options:
Is There A Difference Between Joggers & Sweatpants?
Yes, there is! Although joggers originated as a form of sweatpants, they each have distinct features that make them different.
In terms of style, joggers are typically trendier and fashion-forward.
In terms of style, joggers are typically trendier and fashion-forward. In comparison, sweatpants are considered more functional and practical.
The shape and fit of them also differ. Joggers have a tapered cut that slims down towards the ankles. Sweatpants have a flared or bootcut fit.
Moreover, sweatpants are made with thicker materials to encourage sweat. On the other hand, joggers help keep the legs cool with lighter, airy fabrics.
How Should Joggers Fit?
The fit of joggers depends on what occasion or activity you are going to.
For casual occasions, joggers with thicker material, a less-tailored look, and less tapered legs are more appropriate. Lounge and everyday joggers would be ideal in this situation. The fit should be more relaxed and loose.
In contrast, more formal occasions would call for a more tailored and tapered pair of joggers. Smart joggers work really well for this. The fit is more streamlined and clean-cut.
However, there are a few key rules that all joggers follow:
- Joggers should taper down and have a close fit at the ankle. The joggers are too big if the bottom-half of the joggers don’t fit closely to your leg.
- It should be slim enough to outline your silhouette, but not so fitted that it appears skin-tight.
- A fitted jogger should end right above your shoes and not cover them. You should be able to see some of your socks and skin peeking out.
- Joggers for an athleisure look will have more of a dropped crotch. However, tailored joggers should have less of a dropped crotch area.
- Joggers should be loose enough for you to move around freely. If it constricts your legs, it will look like leggings instead of joggers.
Make sure you have the right fit before you search for shoes to wear with your joggers!
Are Joggers Out Of Style?
No, they are not! In fact, their popularity is growing in recent years. You might have noticed retailers adding joggers to their inventory with many styles to choose from!
Thank the athleisure fashion trend for pushing jogger pants back in style. Athleisure is the combination of athletic and leisure styles. This fashion trend includes garments designed for athletic activities and workout, but can also be worn outside the gym for other activities.
Thank the athleisure fashion trend for pushing jogger pants back in style.
The combination of the sporty look and laid back style makes jogger pants the perfect option for an athleisure look. The athleisure trend is going strong this year and joggers are here to stay!
I hope this inspires you to start experimenting with different jogger styles or get one if you don’t have one already! 😉
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
You May Also Like To Read:
- How To Dress For Your Body Type & Flatter Your Figure
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Checklist: Autumn Essentials You Need
- Minimalist Clothing: Ultimate Fashion Guide
- How To Look Expensive AF In 11 Tips & Tricks
- 7 Ways To Perfect A Timeless Style | Style For A Lifetime
- How To Wear A Summer Dress In Winter | 10 Easy & Stylish Tips!
- Designer Dupes Website | 9 Places To Shop For Budget Dupes
- Monica Vinader Review – Is It Real & Worth It? Must Read Before Buying!