Denim jackets are back. Need I say more?
Denim jackets have been a staple for a really long time. This year, the denim jacket is trending with a modern twist.
It’s all about the oversized fit, new denim colors, unique collars, spliced denim fabrics, and cool reworked denim jackets. There’s such an overwhelming amount that it’s so difficult to choose!
The hard question is, “how do I wear a denim jacket with jeans?” Does anyone remember the fashion debacle with Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake in 2001. Needless to say, it was a cringeworthy moment.
However, this doesn’t mean that we can’t wear denim-on-denim, or the Canadian tuxedo. There’s just a few simple rules to follow that’ll help you avoid a fashion disaster.
Denim jackets and jeans are both timeless closet staples, so why not wear them together?
Here’s how to wear a denim jacket with jeans and look effortlessly cool too.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
How To Wear A Denim Jacket With Jeans
It’s not as challenging to ace the denim-on-denim trend (and look good too) as you may think. This look is not daunting at all if done correctly!
I mean, denim jumpsuits still exist, so full denim looks are still cute. We frequently see style influencers sport this look with ease, so why can’t we?
Keep reading to find out how to avoid the fashion faux-pas and look chic while wearing it!
- Break Up Your Denim Colors
The easiest way to avoid looking overwhelmed in an all blue denim outfit is to break it up with different shades of denim. This will help divvy up the daunting full-on blue outfit.
For instance, wear a blue denim jacket over white jeans. Pair a neutral-colored tee or crop top under your jacket.
Pull on some white sneakers and you’re good to go!
- A Monotone Denim Outfit That Works
The typical blue denim-on-denim outfit is hard to pull off and is typically a major fashion no-no. That’s what caused the fiasco with Britney and Justin back in 2001!
We all learn from mistakes and improve on them. 😉 That doesn’t mean monotone or tonal denim looks aren’t an option here.
Recreate the Canadian tuxedo with a dark twist by pairing a black denim jacket over black jeans.
Make sure to wear a white t-shirt under your jacket and slip on some black booties.
This all black look is very sleek and slimming. The white tee will help break up your top and bottom silhouette. It also adds a nice contrast.
Dark colors not your vibe? Try a minimalistic look with an all white denim outfit. Wear a white denim jacket over white jeans. Don’t forget a white tank top as well to finish off the look.
This stunning white palette looks extremely crisp and clean. It also serves as the perfect blank slate for accessories to pop.
Throw on a cute neutral-tone baguette bag over your shoulder and add gold dainty jewelry to complete the minimal look. Finally, step into white sandals to match the color palette.
- Opt For Contrasting Details & Patterns
Color isn’t the only way to create contrast and make a denim jacket and jeans more wearable together. Distressed details, spliced denim, and patterns also do the trick. Plus, they’re very trendy right now!
There’s something about distressed, spliced, or patterned denim that makes it look effortlessly cool and street-style chic. Unique details also help add contrast to the fabric.
However, make sure only one (the jacket or jeans) has the contrasting details or patterns. Otherwise, it would be too excessive.
Try this: Pair a patterned jean jacket with dark blue straight-leg jeans.
Don’t forget to wear a cute black crop top too.
Put on some black ankle booties to complete this edgy look!
- Dress It Up
Denim is synonymous with casual wear, but it doesn’t mean you can’t elevate it with dressier fashion pieces.
Try wearing strappy heels or add a sleek clutch as an accessory. Adding one or two dressy pieces to a denim look can instantly transform it from a day to night outfit.
Try this: Pair a silky black cami over black jeans. Then, add an oversized denim jacket on top.
Don’t forget to slip into a pair of strappy black heels and grab a clutch on your way out!
Looking for an edgier look? Swap the strappy heels for a pair of black thigh high boots. These boots have an incredible leg slimming effect and are so sultry too!
- Skip Additional Denim Accessories
If you’re wearing a full denim-on-denim outfit, avoid adding more denim accessories. Sure, denim handbags, shoes, and hats are cute, but not when paired with a full denim outfit.
It’s denim overkill and a fashion no-no. Don’t deck yourself head-to-toe with denim accessories!
Side note: Does anyone remember Kim Kardashian rocking those thigh-high denim boots? Cute or ugly?
Cute Tops That Look Great With Denim Jackets
Now that you know how to wear a denim jacket with jeans, here’s some more cute tops you can style with your denim-on-denim outfits.
After all, we can’t forget about the layer underneath the denim jacket!
Denim jackets are commonly worn unbuttoned, draped over your shoulders, or shrugged off-the-shoulders (deliberately because it’s cute 😉) . If your inner layer shows, then it will matter too.
Tops add visual contrast that helps balance out the denim-on-denim look, especially when it’s revealed. Plus, they can also create a cool layered look.
Style Tip: Unless you’re a pro at color coordinating, get tops that are in neutral colors. Grey, white, beige, brown, and black are classic neutral colors that will never go out of style. I especially recommend white tops if you’re wearing a blue denim jacket.
Here’s some of my favorite tops to wear with a denim jacket and jeans:
- Crop Tops & Baby Tees – Crop tops look great under denim jackets. Baby tees, another type of crop top that is currently trending due to the Y2K fashion trend, is another great option too. A simple white crop top will always look great with blue denim jackets and it’s my go-to too!
- T-Shirts & Tank Tops – Get back to the basics with t-shirts and tank tops. These always look great under jean jackets.
- Camis – Silk or satin camis add a luxe element to your denim look. These can take a denim outfit from a casual day look to a fun night out.
- Hooded Sweatshirt Or Hoodie – I love the look of hooded sweatshirts and hoodies layered under denim jackets. It’s the perfect casual, but chic look. Make sure you pull the sweatshirt’s hood over the denim jacket to get the layered effect.
- Turtlenecks Or Mock Necks – Turtlenecks and mock necks are my go-to in the fall and winter seasons. I especially like how the turtleneck peeks out over the denim jacket. This is another easy layered look for the cold weather.
- Graphic Tees – Wear a fun graphic tee or band tee under your jean jacket and tuck it into some high-waisted jeans. This look has major streetwear vibes.
- Sweater Vest & White Button Down – You might have noticed the sweater vest trending hard last year and it sure isn’t going away this year either. Wear the sweater vest over a white button down. Finally, throw on a denim jacket for a cozy and chic layered look.
- Flannel Shirt – Flannel and plaid is the ultimate fall and winter pattern. I love how the plaid pattern pops against the jean jacket. Roll up your denim jacket sleeves and let the plaid pattern peek out too!
- Corsets – Corset tops look incredibly cool under jean jackets and it’s something I haven’t seen many people style with denim jackets. I especially love corset tops that have a triangular hem, which add a slightly edgy detail.
- Sleek Mesh Bodysuit – Try wearing a black mesh bodysuit under your denim jacket. I love the sultry vibes from the mesh and the subtle contrast from the see-through material.
Style FAQs On How To Wear A Denim Jacket With Jeans
Is It OK To Wear Double Denim?
Yes, it’s absolutely ok to wear double denim. The easiest way to effortlessly pull off the double denim look is to break up the denim shades on your top and bottom.
For instance, you can pair a blue denim jacket over white jeans and vice versa. As long as you vary the shades of the denim from the top and bottom, it will be more wearable.
Break up the denim shades on your top and bottom.
You can also play around with distressed denim, spliced denim, and other details to create contrast. Just make sure that the contrasting details are on either the top or bottom, but not both.
Refer to my tips above on how to wear a denim jacket with jeans, I cover all my tips in-depth to help you master the double denim look.
Can You Wear Black Jeans And A Denim Jacket?
Absolutely! I even encourage you to do this, especially for double denim looks. The easiest way to make full denim looks more wearable is to vary the denim shades.
In this case, a blue denim jacket paired with black jeans will definitely work well together since they are two different denim colors. I would also recommend wearing a white top under the denim jacket for more contrast.
Should A Denim Jacket Be Tight Or Loose On A Woman?
Denim jackets should be long enough to reach your waist and cover the stomach area. It should fit well on the body–not too tight or too loose (unless the fit is intended to be oversized). Try to get the jacket in your size for the best fit.
Nowadays, most denim jackets tend to fit oversized because it’s the trend at the moment. Always check the description of the item, if you can. It will usually indicate the intended clothing fit.
Try to get the jacket in your size for the best fit.
Since denim is a stiff fabric, some denim jackets tend to have a slightly boxy look. However, most denim jackets add spandex or elastane to the denim to soften the boxy silhouette.
I wouldn’t recommend sizing up for denim jackets unless your size ends up being too tight. If you’re looking for an oversized fit, look for denim jackets specifically designed as oversized instead.
I hope this inspires you to try out your own version of the denim-on-denim look or Canadian tuxedo. Wearing a denim jacket with jeans is not as intimidating as you think. In fact, it’s easy and you’ll look incredibly stylish!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
You May Also Like To Read:
- Minimalist Clothing: Ultimate Fashion Guide
- Clothes For Tall Women: Best Tall Clothing + Brands
- 7 Cute Long Skirt Outfits & Style Tips You Need To Know Now!
- Model Off-Duty Look Essentials & Tips To Get The Aesthetic!
- 7 Ways To Perfect A Timeless Style | Style For A Lifetime
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Checklist: Autumn Essentials You Need