Exhausted with the limited clothing options for tall people? Here’s all the clothes for tall women and brands you need to know!
Shopping can be difficult if you fall outside of the limited “standard” clothing size. Finding what you specifically want in a store is already overwhelming itself! 💫😵💫
Fortunately, the fashion landscape and retailers noticed this limitation and are expanding their inventory. Nowadays, many stores have tall specific categories!
In this post, I will be covering the best clothes for tall women. I will include the best tops, bottoms, dresses, jumpsuits, and more that are all long-limb friendly.
Moreover, I’ll add my favorite brands that carry tall clothes and tips to dress for a taller height.
Skip the headache of finding clothes that fit just right and make your shopping experience easier. Don’t miss out and keep reading!
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
What Is Considered Tall For Woman’s Clothing?
The retail industry considers women 5’ 9” or taller to fit “tall” sized clothing. There are different size categories to help clothing fit depending on your height and the length of your limbs, rise, and torso.
The three main clothing sizing categories are petite, regular, and tall. Women that are 5’ 3” or shorter are considered “petite” height. Therefore, women between 5’ 5” and 5’ 9” are considered “regular” height.
If you fall outside of the “regular” sizing category, it’s important to get clothing that is specifically sized for your height. This may help decrease your visits to the tailor and help your clothing look better on your body. *hint hint*
The benefit of these sizing categories lies within the cut of the clothing. For the tall department, it’s all about a longer inseam, rise, sleeve length, and torso lengths on your tops.
Shopping Tip: Clothes for tall women will typically need inseams 32” or longer. The inseam is the length from the end of the crotch seam to the bottom of the leg.
However, shopping specifically in the tall section doesn’t guarantee a perfect fit. It only serves as a length or cut requirement for the retail industry, but it doesn’t account for the fact that our bodies are uniquely sized.
However, shopping specifically in the tall section doesn’t guarantee a perfect fit.
For instance, some women who are 5’ 9” or taller tend to purchase “tall” bottoms since they need the extra length. However, they will get tops, dresses, and jackets in “regular” size because their height is in their legs–not in their arms or torso.
Generally, if you’re “tall” go for tall sized clothing, but if you’re looking to manipulate your fit, you might want to shop across a few sizes to get your perfect fit.
Let the tall women’s clothing online shopping spree begin!
Tall Women’s Tops
Finally! Tops that are constructed for taller frames in longer lengths. These “tall” tops have an elongated torso and longer sleeves to help cover your upper-half build perfectly.
I have a selection of tall tops to switch out between casual outings and dressy evenings. I also include quality basics and great workwear options. There’s a stylish top for every occasion with a fit tailored to your body.
Say good-bye awkward fitting tops that don’t quite reach all the way down your arms or look like it shrunk in the wash!
Style Tip: If sleeve length is still a problem, wear three-quarter sleeve tops. These sleeves look great on everyone and help highlight longer arms.
Pants For Tall Women
Out of all the clothes for tall women, pants are one of the most difficult pieces to fit into. If you find a good pair, hold on to it for dear life. (😅 JK, but I wouldn’t blame you!)
The secret to finding the perfect fit is to find pants that are specifically labeled for tall women. It isn’t just a longer length that you need, but also extended rises, proper thigh fits, longer inseams, and proper knee placement–all that should be accounted for in tall pants.
Get ready to strut proudly in these pants made for tall women!
Jeans For Tall Women
Shopping for jeans is a hassle when most “regular” sizes are just too short for tall people.
Do you find yourself stuffing jeans into boots to cover up how short they are? Are you trying to pass your full-length jeans as “cropped” or avoiding heels?
The trick to finding the perfect fit for tall women is to pay close attention to the inseam length or make sure they’re categorized as “tall.”
It’s time to invest in a pair of jeans that fit you right and flatter your long legs!
Dresses For Tall Women
It can be challenging to find dresses for tall women that have an appropriate length and a waist that doesn’t go higher than expected. Don’t get caught with awkward too-short hems.
Swish away in flattering tall dresses made for tall sizes. These dresses have a longer length and sleeves for an impeccable fit and better proportions.
There’s a cute dress for casual brunches, formal dinner parties, or the office. I’ve got a selection of wardrobe necessities and unique dresses. Feel free to experiment with midi and mini dresses that are suitable on taller frames.
Now, you won’t be limited to maxi dresses or feel like you’re wearing a child’s dress!
Leggings For Tall Women
Leggings are a closet staple for many women and it should be no different with tall women too. In fact, we all should have multiple pairs if we don’t already!
They can be worn everyday while running errands, eating brunch with friends, or simply while you’re working out. If you’re tall, it can be a bit tricky to find leggings that don’t look too cropped.
Make sure you get leggings that were designed for tall women, so that they don’t awkwardly cut off too early.
Jumpsuits For Tall Women
Jumpsuits are one of those one and done outfits that make you look put together instantly. This is a staple in clothes for tall women. However, finding the perfect-fitting jumpsuit is tough, especially for tall women.
“Regular” sized jumpsuits’ inseams are too short or the sleeves, if they have them, hit significantly above the wrist.
Suits For Tall Women
When you’re tall, it may be tough to find chic business or office attire that cover you properly. It’s incredibly important to wear clothes that look tailored to you–especially for suits.
Look for suits that have an elongated torso and lengthened inseams to achieve that custom-tailored feel. This will make dressing for the office a whole lot easier.
Get ready to show who’s the boss when you walk in your perfectly proportioned suits!
Style Tip: Try looking for jumpsuits with adjustable straps or a cropped leg. Lower necklines will also help create balance and visual contrast to long legs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Brands Are Good For Tall Women?
Shopping is tough when you don’t know where to go to find clothes for tall women. Here’s a list of brands for tall women that will always cover your long limbs perfectly.
- M.M. La Fleur – If you’re looking for minimalist and polished pieces that make you look classy or stylish workwear, then M.M. LaFleur is the perfect choice. They have lots of quality, tall-friendly styles.
- Land’s End – This store specializes in casual clothing ranging from coats, jackets, pajamas, pants, and tops–all made for tall women! It’s also very affordable with prices starting at $20, especially with the sale going on right now.
- Talbots – If you’re looking for a variety of fits and styles in pants, then Talbots is a great place to shop. They have skinny, leggings, straight-leg, wide-leg, relaxed, chinos, curvy-fit, cropped, and much more!
- American Tall – This shop makes clothing specifically for heights 5’ 9” to 6’ 6” for women. Plus, their prices are pretty affordable with most items under $100.
- Alloy Apparel – Here’s another clothing brand that makes clothing specifically for tall women and even includes curvy options. They are also affordable with most items under $100 too.
- Venus – If you’re looking for some killer bootcut or flare jeans, then Venus has a good selection that includes a longer inseam to choose from.
- Neiman Marcus – Looking for designer and high-end tall pants and jeans? Neiman Marcus has some just for you!
How Should You Dress When You’re Tall?
I’ll always be an advocate of wearing whatever the heck you want–even if you’re tall. In fact, most women will envy your height, so embrace it! Find clothes for tall women that fit you right and makes you feel good.
However, there are a few key way to style a tall woman. Here’s a few tips to help you figure out what to wear if you’re tall:
- Break The Vertical Line Up – Use bright colors or bold patterns to your advantage by wearing different colors for your top and bottom. For instance, wear a bright pink top and neutral colored bottoms. This trick will create a nice silhouette.
- Wear Over-The-Knee Boots – Make sure you know your knee to ankle measurement and check the boot’s shaft height. This will give you a better idea on where the boots will hit on your legs and get boots that hit just right.
- Maxi Dresses Are Your Friend – Tall people are the only people that can really pull off a maxi dress due to their height, so take advantage of that. Plus, they’re so comfy!
- Strut In Those Heels – Wear strappy heels, specifically in neutral colors, to accentuate your legs by making them look longer. In addition, try pointy-toe shoes to help lengthen your legs and silhouette. You don’t need to wear really tall heels. Low heels or kitten heels will look just as good too!
- Wrap A Belt Around Your Waist – Wrap a belt around your natural waist to create shape. Wear a thin belt with a flowy dress or top to bring shape back to the waist area.
- Long Statement Necklaces – Drape a long statement necklace around your neck to help elongate the torso and draw attention to the waist-line. This trick works great if your torso is on the shorter end!
How Can A Tall Girl Look Shorter?
Although I can’t fathom why you would want to since many women envy your height, there’re a few style hacks to visually make you shorter using clothes for tall women. You can also avoid these tips if you want to always appear tall.
- Color Blocking – Although different colors can help break up a strong vertical silhouette, it can also make you appear shorter due to the segmenting of the body.
- Long Skirts – Skirts that hit just below the knee will cut off the legline and make your legs appear shorter.
- Long, Baggy, & Oversized Tops – Tops that are longer or baggy will make the legs look shorter.
- Wear Flat Shoes – This one is pretty obvious, since anything with a heel or platform will increase your height.
What Shoes Should A Tall Woman Wear?
The real question is–what shoes tall women can’t wear? Seriously, being tall doesn’t mean you should downplay your height with your shoes.
It’s your height that commands attention, creates an elegant poise, and exudes confidence. It’s no excuse to not wear those heels!
Nevertheless, here’s a few great shoe options for tall women:
- Knee High Boots – These boots are tricky to pull off when you’re petite. However, tall women have the advantage to rock these boots no matter what! Your proportions won’t feel choppy because of your height!
- Kitten Heels – If tall heels are not your cup of tea, then some kitten heels will be perfect! They’re as equally stylish and elegant as tall heels.
- Loafers – If you’re looking for flat shoes, I highly recommend loafers. They are extremely versatile and easy to dress up or down. You can wear them to the work
- Block Heel Sandals – In the spring and summer, block heel sandals will look great for almost any occasion! They can easily be dressed up or down. Plus, the block heel makes it super comfortable to walk in.
Where Should I Shop If I’m Tall And Plus-Size?
It’s too hard to find cute clothes for tall women that are also plus-size. Wrong! You’re just shopping in all the wrong places.
If you’re plus-size and tall, you need to shop brands for tall women and plus size. This is particularly important for bottoms. Look for places that have longer inseams from 32 inches to 36 inches.
There are actually quite a few brands to check out that carry clothing specifically for that.
Here’s some great online shops to shop for tall and plus size clothing:
- Ashley Stewart – Ashley Stewart is known for their chic plus size clothing, but did you also know that they have a tall collection too? Definitely worth checking out!
- Lands’ End – Lands’ End has a nice collection of tall plus swimwear and plus size tops that are great for tall women.
- Woman Within – If you’re looking for pants and jeans, Women Within has a plus tall collection at very affordable prices.
- Fashion Nova Curve – If you’re looking for cute and trendy pieces, Fashion Nova Curve has one of the largest collections of clothing that also includes tops too!
What Clothes Should I Wear If I’m Tall And Have A Big Stomach?
It’s absolutely normal to gain belly fat and feel the need to hide it. Our bodies will naturally fluctuate as we age and through lifestyle changes.
Just remember that it’s important to love our bodies no matter what! Your body goes through a lot just to keep you alive, after all.
In terms of fashion, there are a couple of sneaky ways to visually hide a big stomach. Here’s a few tricks to keep in mind:
- Avoid body hugging tops. These will accentuate your belly fat. Choose tops that are flowy and drape easily. I especially recommend wrap tops. Wrap tops accentuate the waistline without highlighting unwanted curves.
- High waisted leggings or pants can help tuck in a bigger stomach. Pair it with a looser long tunic or top to complete the look!
- Create long vertical lines with a long jacket or cardigan. This visual trick instantly distracts the eye and creates a longer length.
- Wear a belt slightly higher than your stomach. This visually brings the eye up and draws attention away from the belly.
For all the tall women out there, I hope this makes your shopping and styling experience much easier with clothes for tall women. Feel free to let loose and begin your tall women’s clothing online shopping spree!
Your tall height is a blessing and an envy of many shorter women, so embrace it!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
You May Also Like To Read:
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Checklist: Autumn Essentials You Need
- Shoes To Wear With Joggers For Women & Cute Outfit Ideas
- What To Wear On A First Date For Drinks? Let Me Inspire You!
- Easy Y2K Outfits: 8 Outfits + Everything You NEED To Know!
- What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather – 6 Cute Everyday Outfits
- How To Look Expensive AF In 11 Tips & Tricks
- Why Is SHEIN So Cheap? 9 Reasons You Must Know + More!
- Club Attire For Ladies That’ll Make You The Girl Of The Hour