These stylish, loose pants are ready for a comeback!
If you’re looking for a fun and unique silhouette, you’ve got to try out harem pants. These billowy bottoms are chic and super comfortable too.
Harem pants or parachute pants can be worn on various occasions and it’s easy to make them dressy or casual. There are unlimited ways to style them!
These bold pants may seem intimidating to style, but it’s actually easier than you think. It all comes down to the tops, shoes, and accessories that you pair them with.
Keep reading for harem pants outfits and styling tips to help you rock these bottoms.
Pin the image below so that you can reference this later too!
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
In This Post ➜
8 Harem Pants Outfits
Contrary to popular belief, harem pants for women are versatile bottoms that can be worn for various occasions.
Did I mention that they’re incredibly comfy too? I can almost guarantee that you’ll be tempted to wear them all the time.
From casual days to the office–harem pants are functional and adaptable pieces that can be worn almost everywhere.
Here’s 8 quick and easy harem pants outfits that you can pull together on different occasions:
- Lazy Day At Home 🏠
Harem pants are perfect for lounging around at home. Their loose and superior comfort will make you switch out your sweatpants.
The drop crotch style makes it easy to move around at home–whether it’s lounging on the sofa or doing chores around the house. The extra room in the crotch area also allows better airflow, which is perfect for warmer days.
Pair your harem pants with a fitted tank top for an easy, but chic lounge look. Then, slip on a pair of stylish home slippers to complete the ultimate lazy day harem pants outfit.
- Office Ready Style 🏢
Switch up the typical office slacks with harem pants. This is a great substitute for your regular trousers or long skirts.
Keep the pants more office appropriate by sticking to solid, neutral colors, such as white, beige, brown, grey, and black. Skip harem pants with prints to keep it professional.
It’s also important to wear harem pants that fit you correctly. You don’t want to wear pants with an extremely low drop crotch or baggy fit. Opt for harem pants that’re more fitted instead.
Try tucking in a neutral-colored silk blouse. Then, pair it with classic heels, minimal jewelry, and a handbag. This outfit gives me boss babe vibes!
- Date Night Fun 🌙
If you’re heading out for a date night or fun night out, consider wearing harem pants. Not only do they add cool “it-girl” vibes to your outfit, but they’re comfy enough for you to dance the night away.
Look for a fitted pair of harem pants for women and pair it with a cute crop top. Don’t forget to add a pair of high heels or block-heeled sandals and a stylish clutch!
- Street Style Chic 🏙
Harem pants are easily one of the hottest street style trends. These pants embody casual, laid-back vibes from the baggy fit and cool draping details on its sides.
For this trendy street-style look, tuck in your pants into a pair of lug sole boots. Wear a corset top with a cropped leather jacket.
Don’t forget to add a pair of cool sunglasses to finish off the outfit.
- Keeping It Active 👟
These pants aren’t just for casual days out or street style looks. They’re also very practical as active bottoms–especially for yoga and dance.
Harem pants are one of the top picks for yoga and dance because it permits fluid movement without any constraints.
Pair these harem pants with a sports top or bra and sneakers for a stylish and comfy active outfit.
- Beach Vibes 🏖
Wear a pair of harem pants to the beach and I bet you won’t regret it! These breezy pants will catch the wind and allow plenty of airflow between your legs.
It’ll keep you cool and stylish in the hot weather. For this outfit, lean into the beachy vibe with a pair of colorful boho harem pants.
Pair this with a cute white tank top and slip into a pair of chic sandals. Don’t forget to bring a beach bag. Now you’re ready for a fun day at the beach!
- Dancing Away At A Festival 🎶
Heading to a festival and want to stay comfy without sacrificing style? Harem pants are the way to go.
Opt for fun statement harem pants that embody your style and personality. There’s plenty of cool styles and prints to choose from!
Pair it with a simple crochet top for the perfect boho festival aesthetic or bohemian harem pants look and accessorize away with accessories, such as body chains, bracelets, and temporary tattoos.
Tie the look together with combat boots. Trust me, these boots will protect your feet from the crowds and Mother Nature.
- Bold Glamour 💄
If you’re feeling a bit adventurous, try wearing a show-stopping pair of harem pants for women. I’m talking about harem pants with bold prints, sequins, or glitter.
This might not be your everyday or subtle look, but it would make a great statement piece at parties or events.
The key to wearing these bold harem pants is to balance it out with a crop top and matching accessories.
For instance, If you’re wearing glittery champagne-colored harem pants, balance it out with a simple black top and blazer.
Don’t forget your high heels to complete this glamorous look.
Frequently Asked Questions About Harem Pants Outfits
What Are Harem Pants?
Harem pants or parachute pants are loose fitting, flowy bottoms that cinch in at the ankles and generally have a straight fit with a drop crotch style. They’re also known as elephant or fisherman pants.
Today, harem pants for women represent a relaxed lifestyle and casual culture. They are well known for their comfort and unrestricted style.
Historically though, harem pants have been around for centuries. They’re presumed to originate from Southeast and East Asia. When worn by women, they represented modesty and innocence.
Historically though, harem pants have been around for centuries.
In the early 20th century, they were popularized in western fashion by Parisian designer, Paul Poiret. It was considered a contentious way of adding trousers into women’s apparel.
It wasn’t until the 1980s when harem pants finally received the appreciation and popularity they deserved. Rapper MC Hammer’s most iconic outfit–harem pants and a tailored yellow jacket–helped bring these pants to the forefront of fashion.
What Tops Go Well With Harem Pants?
Since harem pants have a billowy and voluminous shape, you want to balance that out with a fitted top. This can include tank tops, t-shirts, off-the-shoulder blouses, and more. For high-waisted harem pants, I personally love to wear them with a crop top.
Moreover, you should tuck in your top with a french tuck or full tuck. This will help highlight the waist area and visually lengthen your legs.
Make sure to pair printed harem pants with a solid neutral colored top. If you’re wearing a printed top, balance that out with solid neutral colored harem pants. This will help tone down loud prints and make them more wearable.
In addition, try wearing a belt to further accentuate your waist area. The point is to keep the upper half of the body fitted and leave the bottom half baggy or voluminous.
Avoid wearing baggy tops or at least tuck them in! This may overwhelm your overall body shape and make it look like you are swimming in your clothes. Trust me, it’s not a cute look.
Here’s a few more tops I highly recommend with harem pants outfits:
- Quince: Washable Stretch Silk Tee – Crafted with a premium washable silk with just the right amount of stretch for an easy fit, this silk tee is the perfect everyday piece
- Quince: 100% European Linen Short Sleeve Shirt – A year-round linen short-sleeve shirt? Yes, please. This button down linen shirt has a collar for an elevated look and is lightweight.
- Quince: Washable Stretch Silk Pleat Back Blouse – A comfy silk blouse made from Mulberry silk with a bit of stretch for the perfect fit.
What Shoes Should I Wear With Harem Pants?
You might think that picking shoes for harem pants for women is tricky, but it’s actually not true! Harem pants are extremely versatile and look great with everything from sneakers to heels.
Style Tip: Choose shoes in neutral colors (think beige, white, black, or gray). This will ensure that your shoes will match just about any outfit you wear.
If you’re going for a sporty or casual chic vibe, then I would recommend wearing white sneakers. White sneakers literally go with just about any outfit.
Here’s a couple of cute white sneakers to consider:
- Macy’s: Tommy Hilfiger: Anni Slip-on Sneaker – Tommy Hilfiger Anni sneaker offers a casual chic look perfect for all occasions.
- Macy’s: MICHAEL Michael Kors – Felix Signature Logo Bubble Trainer Sneakers – The mixed media design of the Felix trainers by MICHAEL Michael Kors combines glitter and mesh with a sporty platform wedge heel in stylish athleisure fashion.
- Macy’s: Sperry – Crest Vibe Memory-Foam Canvas Sneakers – The easy style and crisp white platform design of Sperry’s Crest Vibe sneakers is a go-to look for a casual day at home or shopping around town.
When it’s spring or summer, sandals are the way to go! I love pairing harem pants outfits with block-heeled sandals. They give a little boost in height and help balance out the baggy harem pants silhouette.
Of course, flat sandals look great with harem pants too. Either way, they create a cute laid-back vibe that’s perfect for a bohemian harem pants look.
Here’s a few sandals worth checking out:
- Macy’s: MICHAEL Michael Kors: Women’s Richie Espadrille Wedge Sandals – The Richie sandals from Michael Michael Kors add breezy lift to both dressed up and casual looks with an espadrille platform and city-chic strappy profile.
- Macy’s: Clarks: Giselle Cove Sandals – Giselle Cove, a modern, stylish summer wedge for dressing up or down, transitions effortlessly from afternoon to evening.
- Macy’s: Tommy Hilfiger – Bennia Thong Sandals – Tommy Hilfiger’s Bennia sandals boast an up styled thong silhouette, secured with a back strap and side buckle.
- High Heels
Yes, high heels look great with harem pants outfits too. It’s the perfect way to help dress up your harem pants.
Stilettos and kitten heels both look amazing with harem pants. Just make sure your pants hit above your high heels. This will help elongate your legs and balance out the baggy pants shape.
Check out these chic high heels to upgrade your harem pants outfits:
- Macy’s: INC International Concepts: Parker Woven Slide Sandals – Chunky braiding and a sweet stiletto heel elevate dressy looks in the Parker sandals from INC International Concepts®.
- Macy’s: INC International Concepts: Hadwin Scallop Two-Piece Sandals – All-day style meets all-day comfort in INC International Concepts’ Hadwin sandals with memory foam for a cushioned feel.
- Macy’s: Calvin Klein: Women’s Gayle Pumps – The Calvin Klein Gayle pumps are a staple for any wardrobe. The signature pointed toe pump, features a mid-height stiletto heel and a metallic brand plate on the back.
How Do You Wear Harem Pants In The Summer Or When It’s Hot?
Harem pants are actually ideal for summer or when it’s hot. The billowy and voluminous shape of the harem pants allows more airflow through the legs compared to other pants.
The more baggier the harem pants are, the more airflow you will get. Look for harem pants made with thinner and breathable fabrics such as linen.
Harem pants are honestly the most comfortable pants for summer or when it’s hot out. Every step you take will bring in more air through the legs.
It seriously feels like you’re walking with a fan around your legs!
Wear your favorite summer top, such as tank tops or t-shirts, with your harem pants. Then, slip into a pair of sandals to complete this harem pants outfit.
Can You Wear Harem Pants In The Winter?
Yes, harem pants can be worn in the winter too! Instead of the thinner fabrics, go for harem pants made of thicker fabrics or fleece-lined for extra warmth.
I also suggest looking for less baggy or more streamlined harem pants. This will help decrease the airflow and help you stay warmer.
Make sure to throw on a chunky knit sweater and pair that with a padded coat. Lastly, throw on a pair of platform boots to complete this chic harem pants outfit for winter.
Can You Do Yoga In Harem Pants?
You can definitely do yoga in harem pants. These loose fitting pants will make your yoga session feel super comfortable.
Make sure to look for harem pants made of lightweight material or specifically made for activewear.
You want to make sure that the harem pants are breathable while you work out.
What Do You Wear With Harem Pants?
Harem pants are incredibly chic and fun to style. However, there’s a common misconception that harem pants are intimidating to wear.
That’s not true! There are so many harem pants outfits that are easy to wear and stylish. Not to mention the fact that they’re versatile pieces that can be easily dressed up or down.
Here’s a few easy tips to follow if you’re new to styling harem pants outfits.
- Don’t pair busy prints on your top and bottom. If you’re going for a top with busy prints, opt for solid colored harem pants–preferably in a neutral color for easy color coordination. This will help create a visual balance between your top and bottom. Plus, too many busy prints in an outfit can look gaudy.
- Wear heels or shoes with some sort of heel. Harem pants can easily overwhelm your silhouette with its baggy and loose shape. This will help elongate your legs and counteract the harem pants’ baggy shape.
- Tuck in your top to help elongate your legs and create balance in your outfit. Follow the Rule of Thirds when styling harem pants. You can even accessorize with a belt to help define the waist.
- Your harem pants should fit you correctly. It shouldn’t be too tight or baggy. Otherwise, they won’t drape and flatter your figure the way they should.
- Try wearing a crop top if you want to highlight your harem pants. This trick works great for statement harem pants. Also, any fitted sleeveless tops will help highlight the harem pants and create balance too.
- Choose delicate fabrics like silk and cotton jersey. This will help the harem pants drape in all the right places. Alternatively, thicker and more rigid fabrics will have less drape, but could be great for a cleaner or more professional look.
Where Do You Wear Harem Pants?
Honestly, you can wear harem pants practically anywhere! Despite their loose and baggy silhouette, you can easily adapt them to different occasions depending on the top, accessories and shoe you pair them with.
As you can see from the harem pants outfits above, they can be worn at the office, festivals, dates, yoga, and more.
You can easily adapt harem pants to different occasions.
There are also different types of harem pants. Some may be more slim-fitting than others or made out of a different fabric gives it less drape.
I would generally recommend slim-fitting harem pants for less casual occasions and baggier fits for casual activities. Just add the top, accessories, and shoes that you need. Whatever works for you!
What Kind Of People Wear Harem Pants?
It doesn’t matter what body type you are because harem pants are flattering on all of them. Whether you’re an apple, hourglass, or pear shaped body–it doesn’t matter!
Their loose shape won’t highlight any insecurities you may have about your legs, while also creating a unique silhouette.
Get a high waisted pair of harem pants to help elongate the legs and hide the food baby from all the pizza and tacos you indulged in or will possibly in the future. 😉
The point is, anyone can rock harem pants as long you style it right. Make sure you read through this post for all the style tips you need!
Is it OK To Wear Harem Pants & Are They Still In Fashion?
Harem pants are still in fashion this year. In fact, this fashion trend has been holding steady over the past few years.
This might be because It’s aesthetic closely resembles the athleisure style, which is still incredibly popular.
I mean, harem pants are comfy, practical, and stylish. What more can you ask for? These pants are known for their versatility to wear while working out and going out too.
Harem pants are comfy, practical, and stylish.
Harem pants are also frequently seen in street style clothing for its edgy and cool vibes. If you’re looking for new pants to try out now, I highly recommend harem pants.
Do Harem Pants Look Good On Short People?
Yes, shorter people can wear harem pants too. However, it’s important to find harem pants that fit you well.
Make sure the drop crotch doesn’t fall below mid-thigh and the folds draping neatly on the sides. A drop crotch that dips halfway down the legs isn’t flattering for petite frames and can make you look shorter.
Make sure the drop crotch doesn’t fall below mid-thigh and the folds draping neatly on the sides.
For petite girls, I recommend slim-fitting and high-waisted harem pants. The high-waisted fit will help elongate the legs and the slim-fit will prevent the bagginess from overwhelming a shorter frame.
Also, harem pants should cinch in at the ankles. If they’re too long, I would suggest going to a tailor to make alterations.
Harem pants shouldn’t be too baggy and big or too narrow and tight. Try them on and see if they feel comfortable or if there’s too much fabric.
I highly encourage you to try out harem pants outfits! Harem pants are the all-in-one practical and stylish pants that you’ll never want to take off.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
You May Also Like To Read:
- 9 Affordable Designer Brands & How To Get The Best Deals
- Are Skinny Jeans Out? 8 Styles You Need To Shop Now
- How To Wear A Denim Jacket With Jeans | 5 Rules To Follow
- Best Thigh High Boots At Every Price Point, Plus Outfit Ideas!
- What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather – 6 Cute Everyday Outfits
- 38 Best SHEIN Finds That You’ll Want To Buy Right Now + Ultimate Shopping Guide
- Carat London Review – Is Their Jewelry High-Quality? Here’s My Thoughts.
- Best Place To Buy Pajamas Online: Nufferton Review – Are They Worth It?
What do you think?