There are many luxury brands known for their handbags. This list of top 20 handbag brands will ensure you become properly acquainted with each one.
A handbag is like the “cherry on top” of all outfits, and choosing the perfect one often proves to be a hassle.
You have to think about the size, the style, the color, and purpose – will it be primarily for your phone and wallet, or are you looking for something that can hold ALL your goodies a la Mary Poppins?
Once you figure that out, you move on to brand research and ensure one of these top 20 handbag brands are within your budget.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
In This Post ➜
Top 20 Handbag Brands
I have gathered the best luxury handbag brands and answered the most commonly asked questions, so you don’t have to. Let’s dive into the top 20 handbag brands.
Gucci is known for its ability to create with new materials. The brand uses only the highest quality materials and only releases a certain number of pieces a year.
This is because their bags are NOT factory-made.
Gucci’s most popular handbags are:
- GG Marmont Belt Bag – A distinctly contemporary accessory, the belt bag is presented in new ways throughout the Gucci narrative, emphasizing different elements of the versatile style.
- Soho Small Leather Disco Bag – A compact shoulder bag with a leather tassel zipper pull. Sized to fit the necessities. Made in our light, natural grain leather.
- Dionysus GG Top Handle Bag – Crafted from GG Supreme canvas with brown leather trim, the recognizable shape—with the tiger head closure, a reference to the Greek god Dionysus, and chain strap—is now finished with an additional single handle giving the style fluidity and multiple ways to wear it.
The Italian fashion house started off like other houses, with the creation of high-quality leather goods back in 1913.
Prada is known for creating elegant yet bold handbags that focus on quality, color blocking, and sleek geometric designs.
Prada’s most popular handbags are:
- Prada Re-Edition Bag – Inspired by the iconic mini hobo bag, the Prada Re-Edition 2005 shoulder bag is made of Re-Nylon: a regenerated nylon yarn produced from recycled, purified plastic trash collected in the ocean, fishing nets and textile waste fibers.
- Prada Galleria Saffiano Bag – Sleek yet pragmatic, the Galleria bag is a hallmark of Prada’s 21st century identity. Its creation is a true duet, a combination of industrial precision and the exactitude of delicate craft only possible by hand.
- Prada Cleo Bag – The Prada Cleo bag with sophisticated allure reinterprets an iconic design of the brand from the 1990’s. Sleek curved lines emphasized by the particular construction rounded on the bottom and sides give this hobo bag a soft, light look.
The handbags that seem to surpass all trends making them genuinely timeless are those created by Chanel.
Though the brand started as a clothing brand, it quickly became famous for its bags.
The handbags are made with high-quality leather and can last a lifetime when cared for.
Chanel’s most iconic bags are:
- Chanel 2.55 – A singular rectangular shape created by Gabrielle Chanel in February 1955, a date to remember. The signature chain, “mademoiselle” turnlock, and quilted texture is so iconic.
- Chanel Boy – Created by Karl Lagerfeld the iconic design owns its name to Gabrielle Chanel’s first love, Boy Capel. It’s sleek lines, gourmette chain, and graphic clasp are incredibly chic.
- Chanel Classic – Created by Karl Lagerfeld upon his arrival in 1983, the 11.12 handbag reinterprets the iconic 2.55 handbag. The iconic gold and silver chain, CC clasp, diamond quilting, and double flap is timeless.
As the edgier sibling to Christian Dior in terms of design aesthetic, Yves Saint Laurent is known for its timeless “Cool Girl” pieces.
YSL’s most iconic bags are:
- Saint Laurent Loulou Shoulder Bag – Saint Laurent monogram bag with front flap, featuring interlaced metal ysl initials, a leather and metal chain strap that can be worn doubled on the shoulder and y-quilted overstitching.
- Saint Laurent The Kate Bag – Classic Saint Laurent monogram shoulder bag made with metal-free tanned leather and organic cotton lining, decorated with metal YSL initials and chain tassel.
- Saint Laurent The Becky Bag – Mini bag with a flap made with metal-free tanned leather and organic cotton lining, decorated with carré-quilted overstitching and a ysl monogram on the front,
This fashion house is one of the last original luxury houses to still be family-owned.
The luxury brand is known for arguably creating the two most sought-after and hard-to-get bags in fashion history – The Birkin and The Kelly.
Hermes’s most iconic bags are:
- The Birkin – This bag is famously expensive and elusive to find. It’s shrouded in mystery and usually requires you to be on a waitlist, if you buy it brand new. However, you can get it for slightly cheaper on used luxury websites like Vestiaire Collective.
- The Kelly – This bold and modern bag has a trapezoid shape with two triangular gussets, a cutout flap, a handle and two side straps. It’s just as rare and expensive as The Birken bag, but you can find more affordable prices on Vestiaire Collective.
- The Constance – It’s an urban bag with a quietly sporty spirit, a practical and casual bag for women with a confident stride; in short, a bag of its time, a time in which everything is possible. Shop for these bags on luxury marketplaces like 1stDibs.
All the minimal capsule wardrobe handbags you may think of are always Celine.
Its practical and timeless pieces make it ideal as an everyday handbag brand.
Celine’s most iconic bags are:
- The Luggage Tote – Nano luggage bag in smooth calfskin with leather handles, a removable shoulder strap, and a zip closure. The bag has a zipped outer pocket on the front.
- The Box Bag – Medium classic bag in box calfskin with an adjustable and removable leather strap and a metallic clasp closure.
- The Belt Bag – Hand carry, shoulder carry and cross-body carry. Flap closure with hidden metallic piece and zipped closure under the flap
While Christian Dior is often remembered for silhouettes and feminine details in clothing, when it comes to handbags, the brand is most known for its delicate and “coquette” designs.
Dior’s most iconic bags are:
- Lady Dior Bag – The Lady Dior handbag is a House classic defined by its Cannage topstitching, ‘D.I.O.R.’ charm and structured silhouette.
- Dior Saddle Bag – The black grained calfskin style is further embellished with antique gold-finish metal hardware. The miniature Saddle bag can be carried by hand as an ideal evening companion or customized with different shoulder straps.
- Dior Book Tote Bag – The embodiment of casual elegance and are available in various motifs and colours, as well as four sizes: mini, small, medium and large.
You have probably seen more Louis Vuitton handbags on a day out, whether they be real or fake than any other luxury handbag brand on the market.
Having said that, the brand is known for high-quality, accessible luxury, and time-defying handbags.
LV’s most iconic bags are:
- Louis Vuitton Speedy Bag – Made from iconic Monogram canvas, the Speedy 30 is an elegant, compact handbag, a stylish companion for city life.
- Louis Vuitton Alma Bag – A timeless House icon, the Alma PM handbag is ideal for every day. Its structured lines recall the Art Deco original, introduced in 1934 and named for the Alma Bridge in Paris.
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull Tote – The Neverfull MM tote unites timeless design with heritage details. Elegant in Damier Ebene canvas with natural cowhide trim, it is roomy but not bulky, with side laces that cinch for a sleek allure or loosen for a casual look.
Balenciaga bags have a specific way of cutting the leather in a thin cut compared to its competitors.
This makes the brand’s bags lighter, malleable, and easier to carry.
Balenciaga’s most iconic bags are:
- The Balenciaga City Bag – Balenciaga satchel bag in pebbled calf leather, signature buckle accent, and rolled, whipstitched top handles.
- Ghost Shoulder Bag – The classic and feminine structured bag is perfect for a business or evening event.
- Hourglass Small Handbag – Its hourglass shape and curvilinear base is so unique and eye-catching.
Another luxury Italian fashion house is here to stay. With more than 90 years of experience in the luxury market, Fendi is known for its signature monogram (FF).
Fendi’s most iconic bags are:
- The Fendi Baguette – The iconic under-the-arm bag is the signature bag designed by Silvia Venturini Fendi in 1997.
- Fendi Mon Tresor – Small Mon Tresor bucket bag made of silk with a padded, quilted FF motif.
- The Fendi Peekaboo – The architectural silhouette features a soft, supple interior revealed by the bag’s expertly designed twist-lock construction.
The Rome-based brand is known for its leather bags and is more easily recognized when they feature the brand’s signature rock stud spikes.
Valentino’s most iconic bags are:
- Valentino Small Vsling Grainy Calfskin Handbag – Small Valentino Garavani VSLING grainy calfskin leather handbag with VLogo Signature closure.
- Valentino Glam Lock Bag – This chain shoulder bag has the iconic tuck lock closure with logo and sleek studs.
- Valentino Spike Bag – A gorgeous bag with quilted construction and embellished with small studs.
Chloe’s handbags are fresh and often great for those looking for an everyday cross-body bag and romantic hues.
Chloe’s most iconic bags are:
- The Marcie – This iconic Marcie leather medium bag is a roomy and practical day bag crafted from grained calfskin embellished with gold-toned studs. Clean lines and a contoured design enhance the slouchy silhouette, while hand-wrapped leather handles add crafty detail.
- The Faye – The clean, contemporary aesthetic of the Faye shoulder bag makes it an effortlessly elegant accessory with laid-back appeal. The flawless combination of smooth and suede calfskin adds textural depth, punctuated with cool hardware for subtle 70s flair.
- The Drew – The iconic Drew shoulder bag balances soft, feminine curves with a sleek, masculine top-line, typical of the Maison’s penchant for contrasts. Crafted from supple leather in a distinctive saddle shape, the versatile handbag adds a touch of 70s elegance to all occasions.
The brand is known for its minimal designs and timeless aesthetic that, when paired with fresh colors, is bound to make the perfect fashion accessory.
Bottega Venetta ’s most iconic bags are:
- The Bottega Veneta Cassette – The structured, ’90-inspired silhouette is crafted from two layers of soft leather that’s thickly padded so it feels soft and puffy.
- The Bottega Veneta Pouch – Perfectly sized clutch with a magnetic frame is crafted from woven leather for a voluminous shape that reflects the brand’s heritage with modern attitude.
- The Bottega Veneta Jodie Bag – Bottega Veneta’s signature intrecciato woven construction elevates this slouchy leather top handle bag.
Givenchy is another brand made for the edgier fashion enthusiast. The brand is known for its use of sleek lines and sharp shapes.
Givenchy’s most iconic bags are:
- Givenchy Antigona Bag – Givenchy’s fan-favorite satchel features a compact size done in the brand’s sugar leather for a richly textured, timeless look with multiple carrying options.
- Givenchy Pandora Bag – This signature angular shoulder bag is refreshed in buttery crinkled leather for lived-in, luxe grunge appeal and finished with sleek silvertone hardware.
- Givenchy Horizon Bag – A lovely structured handbag that’s modern and feminine.
Dolce & Gabbana is known for its intricate designs. Whether it be clothing or accessories – D&G will go all out.
D&G’s most iconic bags are:
- Miss Sicily – Rooted in Sicilian elegance, this top-handle bag is a must-have for the modern prima donna.
- Welcome Bag – Welcome yourself to a new world of elegance, sophistication and quality with Dolce & Gabbana. These bags come in a wide variety of intricate designs.
- Devotion Handbag – The small top handle bag from the Devotion line is made of fine calfskin and characterized by the exclusive bejeweled heart closure and strap inspired by the manufacture of fine jewelry.
The Spanish brand is more than a century old and is known for its high-quality leather goods that last a lifetime.
Its minimal design and intricate structure make the perfect piece for the quiet luxury scene.
Loewe’s most iconic bags are:
- The Puzzle Bag – A cuboid shape and precise cutting technique create Puzzle’s distinctive geometric lines.
- The Hammock Bag – Multifunctional design combines with elegant new proportions in soft grained calfskin.
- The Balloon Bag – The Balloon bag has a rigid external base that cradles a supple internal sac. It is light in weight and comfortable to wear.
Coach always comes in and out of style and is arguably the biggest comeback in luxury fashion since Alessandro Michaele “revived” Gucci.
The brand is known for its accessible luxury and trendy styles.
Coach’s most iconic bags are:
- Willis Top Handle – Features a dowel frame, buttery soft glovetanned leather, and turnlock closure. Carry by the top handle or attach the strap and wear it crossbody.
- Pillow Tabby Bag – Designed with plush, ultra-soft leather and wrapped Signature hardware. It’s compact and can be worn as a short shoulder bag or crossbody.
- The Madison Shoulder Bag – Timeless style with modern proportions—designed for work, weekends and everywhere life takes you.
Another timeless classic, the British luxury brand is known for its elegant designs that, when paired with its iconic check, represent British fashion perfectly.
Burberry’s most iconic bags are:
- Burberry Olympia Bag – A runway shoulder bag with a curved silhouette, sculpted from a firm scratch-resistant leather with a subtle gloss finish.
- Burberry Pocket Tote – An archive-inspired tote in canvas and topstitched leather, featuring a front pocket stamped with our Horseferry print.
- Burberry Lola Bag – A softly structured, quilted runway bag crafted from Italian-tanned lambskin.
The Italian luxury house was founded by THE Giani Versace in 1978 for its bold prints and glamorous designs.
Versace’s most iconic bags are:
- La Medusa – Crafted from grained leather in a structured silhouette, the signature handbag is adorned by a Medusa plaque at the front.
- The Tribute – Adorned with the gorgeous Medusa medallions, crisscross detailing, and a modern structure.
- The Snap Out Of It Satchel – This bold and eye-catching satchel is sure to make heads turn.
Balmain is one of those brands you are probably associated with the Kardashian-Jenner clan. The Parisian brand is known for its luxurious details and femininity.
Balmain’s most iconic bags are:
- B-Buzz 23 Bag – A chic crossbody with Balmain-engraved lobster clasps, B quarter turn clasp, interior zip pocket, gold-tone metal Balmain logo, gold-tone finishes
- The Hobo Bag – Monogram quilted leather constructs this hobo bag, elevated with a polished chain strap.
- 1945 Bag – A gorgeous bag with the “Balmain Paris 1945” exterior plaque in a burnished gold finish.
FAQs About The Top 20 Handbag Brands
What Is The Cheapest Luxury Purse Brand?
Of the top 20 handbag brands above, the cheapest luxury purse brand is Coach. The brand creates high-quality designs that keep making a comeback and are always accessible.
Buying a Coach bag is a great way to start your luxury handbag collection, as some of its bags start as low as $395 ($237 when on sale).
Which Handbag Brand Is Most Famous?
There are many famous handbag brands, but none have been more talked about or coveted than Hermes, Chanel, and who can forget the resurgence of Louis Vuitton’s Neverfull Tote in the 2010s.
Check out the top 20 handbag brands list above. They are listed here in order of most challenging to get and highest price to the easiest famous luxury handbag to acquire.
What Bags Are Celebrities Carrying?
Celebrities are known for starting trends, so the best way to forecast the next best fashion item is by knowing what fashion pieces celebrities are spotted in.
These are the bags that celebrities are carrying in 2022:
- The Fendi Baguette – this bag made a major comeback at the same time as fashion icon Carry Bradshaw did on “And Just Like That….”
- Balenciaga Le Cagole Small Leather Shoulder Bag is the brand’s modern take on its previously iconic City Bag. Le Carole can be seen on your favorite celebs like Dua Lipa, Alexa Demie, Kim Kardashian, and Kendall Jenner.
- The Wander Bag by Miu Miu. This bag was recently modeled in pink by Sydney Sweeney, and just like the Miu Miu Mini Skirt set, it is bound to be a hit.
- One Stud by Valentino was first widely spotted on Zendaya. Since then, celebrities like Anne Hathaway, Charlie XCX, and Dixie D’Amelio have been wearing it.
What Designer Bag Should I Buy First?
Chanel’s Boy Bag is the best designer bag you should buy first. This is because of its constant demand and increase in price, making it the ultimate luxury handbag investment. Not to mention, it quite literally goes with every. Single. Outfit.
If you are restricted by a budget, you cannot go wrong with Coach’s new “it” bag – Coach Pillow Tabby. While it is a trendy bag, take it from someone who knows – it will always make a comeback.
What Makes A Good Handbag?
A luxury handbag is always a good handbag. Luxury handbags are pricier than regular handbags because of the quality of the materials, the brand name, and the craftsmanship behind them.
That is why answering the question “What makes a good handbag” is relative to your specific needs and reasons for getting a handbag.
But, if you want to get technical – I always note materials, where they are sourced, their practicality, durability, and of course, how many lip balms I can fit in. 😉
Do I Need A Designer Bag?
You don’t necessarily need a designer bag – just kidding! The answer will always be – YES. The reason is if you WANT it, then you NEED it.
However, I would always consider your budget and whether you can financially afford it.
Designer bags come with high price tags, so make sure that it’s something you can afford without sacrificing your essentials.
Be practical and do what makes you happy!
What Are Some American Bags On The List?
On this list, Coach is the only luxury American handbag brand. There is always some sense of pride when knowing a luxury brand represents your home country.
Coach was created in 1930’s New York. The brand started as a luggage company and has almost 100 years of experience creating luxury goods.
Any one of these top 20 handbag brands is bound to be a great addition to a fashionista’s closet.
Whether it is your go-to everyday handbag or the one you use for special occasions – there is nothing like owning your very own luxury handbag.
Don’t forget, when done right, a handbag collection can actually be an excellent investment.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
You May Also Like To Read:
- Best Place To Buy Pajamas Online: Nufferton Review – Are They Worth It?
- Kibbe Body Type: The 13 Body Types & What To Wear Ultimate Guide To Highlight Your Best Asset–YOU!
- First Date Winter Date Night Outfits: 14 Outfits To Cuddle In
- 8 Harem Pants Outfits That Are Fashionable & Comfortable
- Clothes For Tall Women: Best Tall Clothing + Brands
- Best Thigh High Boots At Every Price Point, Plus Outfit Ideas!
- 7 Cute Long Skirt Outfits & Style Tips You Need To Know Now!
- 7 Timeless Style Fashion Tips That Will Help You Be A Classy Woman
What do you think?