Boots, boots, boots!
Let’s face it–thigh high boots are cherished by fashionistas, designers, and *practically* everyone else. These sleek, slimming, and ultra sultry boots are quite stunning.
Yet, the task of finding thigh high boots and coordinating an outfit can be as daunting as pulling them off. 😰 Fear not, they’re much easier to style than you think!
Thigh high boots are having a moment in the Fall/Winter runways. They’re experiencing a surge of popularity in the fashion world. Therefore, now is the time to start experimenting with thigh high boots outfits.
I’m going to share tips and tricks on what type of thigh high boots to wear, ways to keep them up all day, and everything else you need to find the best pair.
Plus, I’ll show you some of the coolest and unexpected thigh high boots outfits.
Disclosure: Vain Affair is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
In This Post ➜
Measurements You Will Need For The Best Fit
Measure your calf circumference to determine the best fit. Wrap a cloth or flexible measuring tape around the fullest part of your calf.
- If your measurement is less than 13 ¾”, get narrow-calf boots.
- If your measurement is above 16”, get wide-calf boots.
- Any measurement that falls in between is considered a “regular” size.
In addition, look for the boot opening, or boot shaft, circumference measurement. This will reveal how wide the thigh high boots are at the opening area and help you discern whether it will grip your thighs.
Also, don’t forget to consider your height because most boots are made for people of average height, which is approximately 5’ 5”. If you’re petite, your calf would be lower in boots, so consider adding up to 2 inches to your calf circumference measurement.
Trust me, getting the right fit is key to creating the best outfits with thigh high boots!
Best Thigh High Boots For Skinny Legs
It’s super annoying when thigh high boots start to slouch or roll down your legs. For skinny, slim, or narrow legs, this can be a common problem.
If the boots don’t fit properly around the legs and thighs, you can end up with a puddle of bunched up fabric around your legs. That’s not a cute look!
When shopping for a new pair of boots, you want to take note of the fit. In this case, look for boots that have a narrow or narrow-calf fit.
Look for boots that have a narrow or narrow-calf fit.
Also, look for boots that have stretch material, such as stretch suede. Thigh high boots made with stretchy material will help the boot shaft (or the height of the boot starting at the top of the heel and ending at the top of the boot) fit snugly around your legs.
All this information is usually specified in the item’s description or product reviews online. Double-check them both before you “add to cart.”
Top Picks For Skinny Legs
I’ve done the digging for you–here are my top thigh high boots picks for skinny or narrow legs.
“These boots are super cute and comfortable to wear while I chase around my kids!” – Customer
“Comfortable and easy to wear. And they look very cool 😎” – Customer
Layer a cream-colored sweater over a white oversized button-up dress. Then pull on a pair of black thigh high boots for the final touch!
This is one of my favorite outfits with thigh high boots! It’s such a cute and comfy layered look. Plus, the boots add a punch of attitude and sultriness to the outfit.
Try an unexpected twist by pairing thigh high boots with tailored shorts. Then, add a layered effect by pairing a sweater vest over a long sleeve turtleneck. This is an incredibly cool look!
Best Thigh High Boots For Wide Calves
If you have wide calves, you may believe that finding the perfect fit is nearly impossible. I’m here to tell you that it’s not!
The key to finding the perfect fit is to look for wide calf thigh high boots. Also, look for elastic goring. The stretchy fabric from elastic goring will make it easier to pull on or off.
Look for wide calf thigh high boots.
Moreover, boots with functional laces or buckles are great choices for wider calves. They allow you to adjust the fit and tightness however you like it.
If you’re shopping online, don’t forget to read the customer reviews–particularly reviews that mention if they work with wide calves or have a wide fit.
Top Picks For A Wide Calf
I’ve narrowed down the best boots made for wide calves that offer both style and comfort!
“I love love these boots they are tooooo cute I got big legs, I can never find a boot to fit of good quality. I end up with ugly rainbow boots or the ones with the elastic in the back. These are all suede baby. Big leg girls get u a pair!!!!” – Customer
Show off a bold pair of thigh high boots by pairing it with a sweater dress that comes with a side slit. The dress slit will allow your boots to peek through when you move around. One of the most comfortable and chic outfits with thigh high boots!
Mini skirts work especially well with thigh high boots since the length. Get a preppy and casual look with a cropped tweed blazer paired with a denim miniskirt.
Best Thigh High Boots For Plus Size & Thick Thighs
For those who are plus size or have thick thighs, it can be challenging to find the perfect fit. If you struggle to find boots that fit past mid-calf, keep on reading!
First, be mindful of the calf circumference and opening circumference of the boots. You’ll want to look for boots that are specifically labeled as wide-fit or wide width, so that you have ample room for the thighs.
Be mindful of the calf circumference and opening circumference of the boots.
Also, look for boots that are made with materials that can stretch. This will help the boots hug the thighs securely. Look for additional features that could help them stay up all day, such as gel-lined seams, that will keep them from “rolling down.”
Top Picks For Plus Size & Thick Thighs
Here are some of my favorite thigh high boots that effortlessly combine style and comfort.
“This boot is plus size calf friendly. I can get this boot over my calves, and it does go to my lower thighs. I’m truly plus size–I wear between a 20 to a 24. This boot is so stylish ! I can’t wait to wear this boot for the fall and winter seasons.” – Customer
Wear a V-neck sweater dress that hits right above the top of your thigh high boots. Not only is this look quite slimming, but showing off a bit of skin between the dress and top of the boots is very sultry.
In addition, try mixing fabrics by pairing a cable-knit turtle-neck sweater with a slip skirt that has a slit. This mix of fabrics makes the outfit look more expensive than it might be. 😉
This is one of the most warmest and cutest outfits with thigh high boots!
Other Thigh High Boots
Here are some of my favorite thigh high boots that will fit all sizes:
“Love the style and heel.” – Customer
What To Look For In Quality Boots
Thigh high boots are cute, but you need a pair of quality boots that will last a while. That way you can create endless outfits with thigh high boots!
Here are a few factors to consider:
The material that thigh high boots are made of will impact its comfort level. However, every material has its pros and cons.
Familiarize yourself with these common, quality materials, so that you know what to expect:
- Suede – This soft, smooth, and velvety texture is a popular material in boots. It looks expensive and it has good breathability. The downside is that it stains easily and requires maintenance to keep it clean.
- Leather – Real leather is known to be durable, buttery smooth, and easier to clean. This material is usually more expensive than other synthetic materials. Unfortunately, it has the least breathability, which can get very hot and sweaty.
- Rubber – Rubber is another popular material. It has great shock impact absorption and it’s waterproof. Unfortunately, like leather, it doesn’t have great breathability.
- Textile – Fabrics, such as nylon and polyester, are common materials used in boots. They’re the most comfortable and breathable material. Unfortunately, they have very little water resistance.
Any adjustable features will help thigh high boots fit snugly around the legs for a perfect fit and prevent the top from “rolling down.”
Look for these adjustable features if you have trouble finding thigh high boots that fit your legs:
- Elastic Goring – Many tall boots have an elasticized piece of material that connects two pieces of the boot’s upper part together. Most elastic goring is found around the top or the backside of the boots. This helps give additional stretch for a better fit. If you’re closer to wide-calf sizing, elasticated goring will prevent boots from gaping too much.
- Laces – Look for laces if you want a completely custom and perfect fit. Laces offer a ton of adjustability since you can tighten or loosen them as you see fit. There are many boots that can lace up all the way to the top.
The comfort level can make or break a pair of thigh high boots. If comfort is important to you, consider the following features in your thigh high boots:
- Heels (Height and Shape) – If you want stability and less pressure on the toes and forefoot, look for a shorter heel. However, if you prefer taller heels, swap stiletto heels for chunky heels. Chunky heels give more stability and are easier to walk in than stiletto heels.
- Cushioning – Look for a cushioned footbed or insoles for better comfort when standing or walking for long periods of time. You can also insert additional insoles for extra padding.
- Toe Shape – Pointed or almond toe shapes can be uncomfortable for wider feet. Round toes can also run narrow. I recommend sizing up for these toe shapes if you have wide feet. Also, check the reviews to help you decide whether to size up or choose your typical shoe size.
FAQs & Tips To Keep Them Up ALL Day!
Are Over The Knee Boots The Same As Thigh High Boots?
Over the knee (OTK) boots and thigh high boots are commonly used interchangeably to describe the same type of boots. However, the key difference between these two is the boot shaft height, or the height of the boot starting at the top of the heel and ending at the top of the boot.
The key difference between these two is the boot shaft height!
The OTK boots I’m referring to are the ones that end right above the kneecap. Thigh high boots have a slightly taller shaft height, which ends around the mid-thigh.
Technically, thigh high boots are a type of OTK boots, since any boots that go over the knee will fit in that category.
Why Are Thigh High Boots SO Attractive?
Thigh high boots can add a sultry and alluring vibe to any outfit. The high boot shaft length highlights the legs and thigh area. Plus, that slight peek of skin above the boots can be very seductive.
Moreover, thigh high boots with taller heels help elongate the legs. That’s why you’ll see so many fashion girls rock these boots–it’s an incredibly attractive and “cool girl” piece. They’re a powerful statement shoe that seem to command attention.
Outfits with thigh high boots and so versatile and make a cool statement.
Are Thigh High Boots Practical?
These boots are just as practical as they are stylish for cold-weather dressing. They’re a practical choice to keep the legs warm, especially if you don’t want to wear thick stockings.
Thigh high boots are incredibly useful in prolonging the wear of your short, seasonal pieces.
Plus, thigh high boots are incredibly useful in prolonging the wear of your short, seasonal pieces. They look amazing with mini skirts, midi dresses, and tailored shorts.
You’ll be amazed by how many outfit combos you can make with thigh high boots that are chic, but very practical.
How Can I Wear Thigh High Boots Without Looking Trashy?
Unfortunately, thigh high boots do have a history of being festishized and associated with adult entertainment, but don’t let that stop you from wearing them.
There are plenty of thigh high boots styles that look classy and not trashy. Plus, I’m all for changing a stereotypical narrative!
Here’s a few tips to keep your outfit classy:
- If you’re uncomfortable with showing skin above your boots, wear them over your skinny jeans or under a longer dress. You can also wear black tights under your boots too. I’ve even seen people wear tailored shorts over their boots.
- Wear shorter or chunky heels instead of stiletto heels. Not only are they way more comfortable, but they have less of that sultry stigma associated with them.
- Also, avoid boots made of latex, vinyl, or any other material that gives it that cheap or overly glossy shine.
However, the most important advice I can give you is to wear whatever the heck you want! The advice I gave above are simply guidelines that could be helpful. If thigh high boots with a 5-inch stiletto heel and made of vinyl is your vibe, then go for it!
How Do I Stop My Thigh High Boots From Rolling Down?
There’s nothing more annoying than having a cute pair of thigh high boots slouch down and bunch at the knees. The whole point is for it to stay up, right? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered with a few tips that will keep them up all day and night:
- Wear Jeans, Jeggings, or Leggings Underneath – Jeans are naturally thicker and texturized, which helps thigh high boots stay up. You can also wear jeggings or leggings underneath, but make sure they are thick or texturized too.
- Put On Thick Over The Knee Socks – Swap out thin socks for thicker over the knee socks. The thicker socks will fill out any extra room and make the top part of the boots tighter around the thighs.
- Use Fashion Tape or Boot Glue – Fashion tape or boot glue are adhesives designed to affix the skin to the boots, without harming the skin or damaging the boots. This is a great choice for special events. Just make sure you follow the directions carefully!
- Boot Straps – Boot straps can be DIY or purchased pre-made versions. The DIY version just requires some velcro and fabric glue. Essentially, they are velcro straps that fit around the thighs and affix to another velcro strap glued inside the tops of the boots. YouTube has some great DIY boot straps tutorials.
Thigh high boots are incredibly versatile and stylish pieces. I hope this gives you plenty of ideas and tips to try out thigh high boots outfits or get them if you don’t own one! 😉
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
You May Also Like To Read:
- How To Wear Ankle Boots With Jeans | 10 Outfit Ideas & Tips
- 7 Cute Long Skirt Outfits & Style Tips You Need To Know Now!
- Shoes To Wear With Joggers For Women & Cute Outfit Ideas
- What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather – 6 Cute Everyday Outfits
- How To Dress For Your Body Type & Flatter Your Figure
- How To Wear A Summer Dress In Winter | 10 Easy & Stylish Tips!
- What To Wear To A Wedding As A Female Guest | 6 Dress Codes!
- Carat London Review – Is Their Jewelry High-Quality? Here’s My Thoughts.
What do you think?